Housing question

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
Hi, there.

I was going to build a separate pen for the two Bourbon Reds I have who are about two months old. However, I thought, why not use what I have? I have a large chicken coop and have half a dozen chickens and half dozen ducks in there. The building is about 10x12, so plenty of room.

Could I separate the coop with a wall and keep the two turkeys on the other side, with a separate exit to a separate pen? (I worry a bit about blackhead, and also the turkeys actually getting along with the others when they're bigger). There is actually a large fenced area off the coop that I could jury rig and make the fence way taller for the turkeys. The fence is about four feet, but I can attach deer fence to the top of it I think.

Would the turkeys just being in the same building with the chickens cause a risk of blackhead, even with a separation wall? It's the cheapest/easier way I can think of to house/contain all the birds without building a separate structure or fence.

Thanks!

You will have blackhead in your soil or you wont. If you have it if the turkeys cross any ground where the chickens and ducks have been they are succeptible.

I would say your plan will work. I don't clip wings but mine can clear a 6 ft fence no problem.

Thanks! It is a bit ambitious for me to not just let them in with the other fowl, but I really like these turkeys so far and would like to breed them and raise some poults of their own. I know many people around here who keep the birds all together, so I think I'll try the coop separation and separate pen. Even though the chickens and ducks do go on that ground, it's not often and I can hope for the best.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom