butter molds

spurrer

Chirping
May 5, 2016
Attalla, Ala
Today I made butter for the first time. I bought a pint of heavy cream and put it in a large glass jar and shook it until it turned to butter. I was so proud. I had bought an old time butter mold off e-bay and put the butter in there and placed in the refrigerator. But It wouldn't turn loose of the mold. I ran a thin knife around it and it finally came out but the pretty little stamp on the top was all messed up. I know there is a way to do this because my mama used to but I don't remember how she did it. Should I have done something special to the mold before I put the butter in? I felt so pioneery until my butter stuck. Darn!

Did you rinse all the buttermilk and liquid from your butter before putting it into the mold? I am thinking it would set better in the mold if there isn't liquid still in it, it also keeps much longer when you rinse your butter.

yes, I put cold water in it and worked it and then poured the liquid off. I did that until the water ran clear. Maybe I didn't get quite all of the liquid out that I could. I tried to do it like I used to see my mama do. But she had a wooden paddle and I only had a plastic spreader. Next time I will try working it longer.

Some people strain it off with cheesecloth or the like after rinsing. I think its messy and wastes alot of butter that way.
I like to use a couple of paper towels and dab at rinsed butter to try to get as much liquid out as I can without making a huge mess.

Good luck with your mold though.

I finally got molding butter down pat. I soak the mold in water for awhile and then put it in the freezer. Before I put the butter in I give it a light spray with Pam. After I fill the mold I sit it in the refrigerator until it is firm, unmold it and wrap and place in freezer. Now when my brother helps me with something I give him butter and eggs. He calls it Jane's butter. I feel so proud of myself when I am shopping and I pass up the eggs and the butter.

Back
Top Bottom