Problems with Ants..... HELP!!

BabyandCotton

Songster
Jun 14, 2016
Florida
Last summer, my broody Muscovy, Baby, sat on 16 eggs. 10 pipped internally but didn't make it. (This was her first hatch) 6 were doing fine but then, the ants came. Swarmed all around and then entered thru the pipped holes and bit the tender little ducklings. I had to help them out but it was too late. Only two ducklings made it. How can I prevent this? Has any body else had this problem? I'm planning to hatch eggs under a old English game ( ground box) my Muscovy was on the ground as well.

You could try dusting around the hens/nest boxes with Sevin dust or DE. Or perhaps place some ant bait (you can buy the bait boxes or make a mix of borax and sugar) somewhere the chickens and your other pets can't access them. Good luck! I see ants in my coops, but they've never bothered my hens or hatching eggs. I hope it stays that way!

You could try dusting around the hens/nest boxes with Sevin dust or DE. Or perhaps place some ant bait (you can buy the bait boxes or make a mix of borax and sugar) somewhere the chickens and your other pets can't access them. Good luck! I see ants in my coops, but they've never bothered my hens or hatching eggs. I hope it stays that way!
Thank you! Would grits work as well??

Back
Top Bottom