BEST roosts ??

HaloAmanda

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
Norwalk, Connecticut
I've read a lot of different styles of reccomened roosts and wondering what everyone thinks is the best?

I think I want to build an L shaped platform as a poop shelf along the to left sides inside the coop so along one 8' wall and to the left of the people door in front of a window so maybe 4 feet or so.

We plan on having a mix of 12 hens mostly larger egg layers,reds, wyandottes, orpingtons, maybe some jersey giants or arcana etc.

I've heard most use 2x4s but I'm confused if they should be installed upright or flat, maybe both? And are 2x4 really best?

Also what do you all use on the edge of the poop shelves so they don't roost on them? I saved this photo from a thread on here as I think I want to make the same style p
latform and fill with sand or sweet PDZ.

As long as the roofs are higher they will pick the roosts over the edge of the shelf usually. I use sweet PDCZ, I don't mix any sand with it. It doesn't take much, half an inch or so.

As far as the 2 x 4 issue, people seem to argue about that one a lot. In my opinion I would use the 2 x 4's laying with the big side up. Especially if you're going to have birds like Jersey Giants. 12 birds and 12 feet of roost space sounds good.

As far as the 2 x 4 issue, people seem to argue about that one a lot. In my opinion I would use the 2 x 4's laying with the big side up. Especially if you're going to have birds like Jersey Giants. 12 birds and 12 feet of roost space sounds good.

We will probally have 1 or 2 jersey giants. I'm thinking of having 2 roosts along the 8ft wall and 2 along the shorter wall at different heights. Maybe I will have 2 flat and 2 upright.

Are 2x4s the best option? I have a hard time thinking that's the best bit it seems to be what everyone uses and reccomends. I just have the idea that a round "perch" is normal I guess.

Chickens don't roost on their feet/legs alone, they place a lot of roosting pressure on their keel, thus the reason for using the 4" size of the 2x4 so they have a wider flatter area to rest their keel on and better distribute their weight...

There was a study on roost and this design appeared to be ideal, a 27mm steel pipe with a 4mm thick 48mm in diameter foam rubber sleeve over it, attached at the bottom only so the top of the roost is air cushioned... Even though ideal its way to complicated for most to build and design and it's also patent pending..

Here is the study, a good read as it also gives you some ideas on sizing vs feet size if you want to ripe down a 2x4 to a better fit width for your birds...

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/4/715.long

Last edited:
Chickens don't roost on their feet/legs alone, they place a lot of roosting pressure on their keel, thus the reason for using the 4" size of the 2x4 so they have a wider flatter area to rest their keel on and better distribute their weight...

There was a study on roost and this design appeared to be ideal, a 27mm steel pipe with a 4mm thick 48mm in diameter foam rubber sleeve over it, attached at the bottom only so the top of the roost is air cushioned... Even though ideal its way to complicated for most to build and design and it's also patent pending..

Here is the study, a good read as it also gives you some ideas on sizing vs feet size if you want to ripe down a 2x4 to a better fit width for your birds...

http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/4/715.long

Thank you! Gonna read thru that article. I could easily wrap a pipe in foam but I see where creating the air space could be challenging. I will think about this some.

Next question: If I go with 2x4s would it be safe to have them painted?

I'd go with not painting them. It will take a lot of direct scratching and wear, so any paint will eventually get torn off. Then you have chickens eating paint chips which is not real great (for them or you). Well that, and because I don't see any benefit to painted...

I'd go with not painting them. It will take a lot of direct scratching and wear, so any paint will eventually get torn off. Then you have chickens eating paint chips which is not real great (for them or you). Well that, and because I don't see any benefit to painted...

Was only considering it for visual appeal. The whole coop will be painted so I thought roosts too. But was worried for safety reasons. I'll leave them plain.

Back
Top Bottom