Girls don't like "treats"??

mtessdoan

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Southern California
I'm very new to chickens (got them last night as a rescue) but I wanted to give them some good vibes in their new home with some treats I've heard they liked... So far they take 2 pecks and don't show any interest in:

Carrot
Strawberry
Tomato
Kohlrabi greens
Dandelion weed

Are they just unsettled?? They have water and the feed I was given (just corn) but I will be getting a more complete feed, as well as mealworms, today.

Thanks!!

Whenever I get hens from a different home I give them yogurt, grapes, and drained canned veggies. They also may be a little stunned in a new home with all these treats.

I'm very new to chickens (got them last night as a rescue) but I wanted to give them some good vibes in their new home with some treats I've heard they liked... So far they take 2 pecks and don't show any interest in:

Carrot
Strawberry
Tomato
Kohlrabi greens
Dandelion weed

Are they just unsettled?? They have water and the feed I was given (just corn) but I will be getting a more complete feed, as well as mealworms, today.

Thanks!!

Welcome to BYC.

How old are the rescues?
Any photos?

They are most likely unsettled.
Since they are rescues they may not even know what treats are. Corn is a treat and not a complete food, so the quicker you can get a complete poultry feed the better.

You may want to start with an all flock/flock raiser type feed (18-20% protein content) and offer oyster shell free choice for any that are laying eggs. I suspect they may also benefit from some poultry vitamins for about a week since it sounds like their normal feed was just corn.

Dietary changes can be a bit overwhelming for them, so stick with feeding a complete poultry feed for several days so they start to eat that regularly and get used to it. Then add a small amount of "treats" . Mealworms are a good source of protein, but a small amount will go a long way, the corn is fine as well, but in small amounts..

As for fruits/veggies, it's sort of trial and error some chickens prefer some things over others, so don't get disappointed if they don't go for it.
For example lots of people say their chickens love cabbage, mine can take it or leave it, they will pick at it, when nothing else is left to pick at.

Provide fresh water every day, more if it's hot outside, clean water stations at least once a week (more in hot weather), they also need a source of grit. IMHO it never hurts to have purchased grit available free choice in a small container in the coop/run, regardless if they have access to other sources.

Let them get calmed down for a day or two, then check them over for any signs of lice/mites.

Last edited:
Thanks all!! We clipped their wings last night (just the left side) so now they have the run of their part of the yard. They seem to be far more interested & engaged now :) also, mealworms have done wonders!!!

I bought scratch & feed layer corn/soy free organic yesterday. Preliminary check during clipping didn't show evidence of fleas/mites but I have distomatious earth in case. I also added a little oyster shell to the feed and raised their water up to keep it clean.

Our best guess is they're about 5 mo old but their feet are a bit rough/scaly. Their combs are small and not dark red.

Any help with naming that breed?? Anything else I should know/look for??

Trying to upload pics but I'm mobile so...

Last week I threw some corn into a brooder pen of 15 three month old RIR that haven't been fed anything but chick starter.
They freaked out squawking, flapping and flying away and bouncing off the walls and hid in the corners. Then several would get brave and sneak up on the corn then freak out and they would squawk and fly around and bounce off the walls again. Then they'd come back with their necks stretched out as far as they could stretch like they were scared to get very close to it, peck it, and go bouncing off the walls again.
The corn is still there, surprised it hasn't sprouted yet.
In several weeks when I put them in the Hen Pen the old hens will show them what to do with corn.

Thanks all!! We clipped their wings last night (just the left side) so now they have the run of their part of the yard. They seem to be far more interested & engaged now
smile.png
also, mealworms have done wonders!!!

I bought scratch & feed layer corn/soy free organic yesterday. Preliminary check during clipping didn't show evidence of fleas/mites but I have distomatious earth in case. I also added a little oyster shell to the feed and raised their water up to keep it clean.

Our best guess is they're about 5 mo old but their feet are a bit rough/scaly. Their combs are small and not dark red.

Any help with naming that breed?? Anything else I should know/look for??

Trying to upload pics but I'm mobile so...

My best guess on the 2 lighter colored ones is production red / red sex link. The darker one I don't know.
Glad to see they are coming along. It usually just takes a tasty treat and patience
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom