New to BYC & Duck Parenting!

sarahc63

Chirping
Jun 29, 2016
Ohio
Hello all! My name is Sarah and I'm from southwestern Ohio. I am a new "mother" to two Pekin ducklings approx. 10 days old. I just brought them home this morning. They are a little shy, but have adjusted quite well to their new home.

I was wondering when they might be ready for short trips outside. I have a fenced area about 25ftx25ft. Is it alright to let them run around this area or should I use a smaller pen?

Also, they are calm when I sit next to the brooder and talk/sing to them, but terrified when I try to pick them up or place/remove anything from the brooder. Any suggestion to make this less traumatizing for them? Are there any treats I can give them when they are this young?

Thanks & looking forward to talking with some of you!

:welcome!

Congrats on your new additions! As long as it's fairly warm out you can definitely take them out for some outside time. If they start to act chilled just be sure to bring them back in and get them warmed up. Also be sure to stay with them at all times since they're very vulnerable to predators at this age.

Ducks don't usually like to be picked up so you can work on this with them but they may never be crazy about it. Adding things to the brooder also scares them because they are large (to them) objects approaching them from above, which in the world of ducks is never a good thing - it would usually be an aerial predator and not something harmless like a feeder, etc.

As for treats, peas are a pretty popular treat for ducklings that they seem to like. Mine were also crazy about dried mealworms at that age. You can likely win them over through the use of treats. Just make sure they have access to grit if you're going to give them treats. If you do give them outside time they'll find their own; if not, you can buy chick grit.

:frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!

@Pyxis has given you some great advice!
Pekins are a wonderful and very friendly duck in general, so they'll warm up to you quickly. My Pekins are very fond of watermelon and Cheerios. :) just a suggestion. (But don't overdo the Cheerios, they aren't the healthiest :lol: )

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. You might also like to post on the "Duck thread," just put that in the search box and it will come up.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thanks for the welcomes and advice y'all!
smile.png
It appears peas really are the way to a ducklings heart!

Back
Top Bottom