What are these?

chickenfarmer2

Hatching
May 29, 2016
Does anybody know what these are what they are worth? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
[/IMG].

Both appear to be barnyard mixes. My best guess would be a Blue Andalusian mixed with a Plymouth Barred Rock. In terms of worth, that depends on your location and the chicken economy in your area. I breed mostly exhibition poultry, but do every now and then end up getting some feedstore chicks (they give them to me when they become too much work or are not selling) and I raise them up and sell them to people that don't want to raise chicks but want started pullets and cockerels.

A barnyard hen, if laying, usually is $20 at my house. I usually sell started cockerels for $15 each, but it depends. One year I ended up with about 20 cockerels from a feedstore, most of which were just nasty and rude, so I was selling them for $5 for people that wanted to process them. But again, if you have a friendly cockerel that you like and are attached to--maybe stick to $15 or $20 to assure he is going somewhere that is keeping him as a pet and not food. It all kind of depends.

I agree, it depends on location. Around here you can't even give cockerels/roosters away. Any cull males here go to my freezer. Young LF layers may go for $10-15. Bantam layers could go for $5 on a good day.

people here wouldn't give a dollar for mixed breeds unless someone suckered them into believing it was a real breed. But, they are just plain cheap - even with actual breeds . They wait hoping someone will get desperate and just give them away. Then they show up to take them "off your hands."
These are usually the people who will just feed them corn and let them hunt for bugs.. they can't be bothered with worms, mites, predators - too bad.

Some people don't mind mixed breeds if they just want to have a few laying hens around. But @drumstick diva is right, there are a lot of people that actively avoid them. It really does depend on your area. And I, too, have experienced lots of cheap people that don't want to pay anything (and, personally, they tend not always to be good homes and you might want to avoid that route).

But, I would say if you go to sell them, definitely market them as barnyard mixes. I judge a lot of 4-H shows throughout Arizona (and am working on getting my APA judging license) and one of the things that really bothers me is when kids have been marketed birds that are clearly mixes, and the seller marketed them as wonderful purebreds. That drives me crazy. It is always better to market birds as what they are so that people know.

welcome-byc.gif

Agree they look like barnyard mix. I could see some CCL blood possibly, does the hen lay a colored egg? If so, that can boost her value. If she lays a colored egg I'd ask $25 for the pair. If not, I'd ask $20 and feel blessed if the buyers agreed to take the rooster.

It just shows for different areas....here I have no problem selling my barnyard mix birds, especially if they're laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom