How to tell if my Peking is laying eggs.

jaybud

Chirping
May 25, 2016
Tehachapi, Ca
So I have a 20 week old Peking hen that I can't tell if she is laying eggs. She is consisently getting mated with my Rouen drake. I purchased her the same time I got my sex links, who are the same age and lay and egg everyday. Is there anything to look for in her behavior because I look all up and down my yard for eggs and can't find none.

Over mating can delay egg laying. If she needs some time away from the drake, please provide it to her. Drakes can injure and even kill ducks. She depends on you to protect her.

Ducks may hide eggs, too. Depends on your management practices as to whether it will be relatively easy or very difficult to find hidden eggs.

Some people dab a bit of food coloring in water on the vent in the evening - eggs laid will have little colored streaks on them.

I finally started getting eggs about two weeks ago but she just lays them by the coop door. As the flock is ready every morning waiting by the door to come out.

I finally started getting eggs about two weeks ago but she just lays them by the coop door. As the flock is ready every morning waiting by the door to come out.
Try making her a quiet space inside your coop place a piece of plywood laid against one wall secure so it won't fall on her [like half a triangle]make it so she can easily get under it make sure she has plenty of bedding so she can make her nest for laying. She may decide she likes this along with everyone else.

I have two dog houses in the coop with straw and she won't use them to lay. Both her and the drake sleep on the ground at night. They share the coop with my chickens, don't know if that matters. Hopefully during the winter they both will use the houses.

Back
Top Bottom