Buff eye color...Blue or Brown????? Which is correct???

hopemason28

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Zephyrhills, Fl
I have Buffs with blue eyes and was wondering if this was not a good thing as far as keeping my breeding line pure. Or is this a trait they should not have? Help
idunno.gif

I pulled out my SOP to check for you and the standard calls for the eyes to be a dark hazel, not blue.

So these birds should not be breed? To keep the blue eyes from being passed to a new generation. ??

If you were breeding for the SOP, that's correct. The other problem is even if you get offspring from the first pair (or from these new ones if you breed to ones that have hazel eyes) that have hazel eyes there's no way to tell that they're not also carrying blue until you breed them. The problem with recessive genes is it's really hard to make sure it's actually gone. You could think you've eradicated it and then it pops up again a few generations later.

Last edited:
Do not worry about the color of their eyes. I cannot tell you how many really good birds I culled for this reason -all for nothing! Their eyes actually change color. That was never something I would ever have considered, but it's true! The SOP says dark hazel, not blue OR brown, although brown seems to be as acceptable as the dark hazel. If you have geese with bright blueberry or china blue eyes, those will probably (Note: probably) not change. I have a lot of young birds (including the one in my profile picture) who had blue eyes. Those blue eyes will actually change over time and you will have a true hazel. It's the lighter ones that are less desirable. If they are still distinctly blue at one year, then think about whether or not you should breed them,but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Those seemingly blue-eyed babes are the true hazels. PM me if you have a question or problem. I'm rarely on here. Kathy

Back
Top Bottom