Beginner

Pigeon Rookie

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
I'm just starting out and already I can't wait to get home to see my pigeons...
I have two pigeons currently that both come back every flight. Only don't know if they're male/female. One thing I can say is that when one sits in the same perch as the other one always coos and pokes the other off then continues to coo and bob its head.
Is this normal?

do you have a nest box for them not sure by the way you describe there actions but may be two males the male will chase a hen to a nest that he has mated with hen will lay two eggs about 24 hours apart the hen will sit on the eggs from 4 p m till around 8 am then male will take over both parents feed the young

do you have a nest box for them not sure by the way you describe there actions but may be two males the male will chase a hen to a nest that he has mated with  hen will lay two eggs about 24 hours apart the hen will sit on the eggs from 4 p m till around 8 am then male will take over both parents feed the young

Sorry if I wasn't describing it well. I meant one of my pigeons will run off the other every time it's on the same perch as it is then it coos immediately after.

Put a med dog bowl, or box in back corner of cage with two bricks, with bedding like pine shavings or needles or twigs n dry grass. If a true pair they will set two eggs n hatch them in 20 days. Two weeks after young hatch,add second nest as female wants to lay again and may abuse current young to try to take and lay at that nest again.. If eggs laid again in another nest female cares for them n male takes care of current young till they're kicked out n new eggs layed there. Whole process keeps going on in cycle if parents given enough good food water and space/exercise (most don't let them free fly while they're breeding them), and you'll have to seperate sexes once have enough pigeons n deny nests to females or females nest together both producing two eggs (that obviously won't hatch, as only parthenogenic domestic birds kept are production layer mutation strains in chickens).

Put a med dog bowl, or box in back corner of cage with two bricks, with bedding like pine shavings or needles or twigs n dry grass. If a true pair they will set two eggs n hatch them in 20 days. Two weeks after young hatch,add second nest as female wants to lay again and may abuse current young to try to take and lay at that nest again.. If eggs laid again in another nest female cares for them n male takes care of current young till they're kicked out n new eggs layed there. Whole process keeps going on in cycle if parents given enough good food water and space/exercise (most don't let them free fly while they're breeding them), and you'll have to seperate sexes once have enough pigeons n deny nests to females or females nest together both producing two eggs (that obviously won't hatch, as only parthenogenic domestic birds kept are production layer mutation strains in chickens).

Awesome reply! I have a small box with shavings in it towards the back corner. So far nothing. They literally sit on opposite sides of the cage with no interest in each other. Been looking for a way I can check to see if they are male or female but nothing very obvious. I've read that the pelvic bone which is like the end of a V but open at the bottom is the best way? I checked my birds and one has the bones almost touching and the other has them further apart? Is there an easier way?

Pelvic testing only good if from more closed family line, as even in same breed, family lines vary greatly in size n shape (I kept n keep different lines of same breeds n they can have giant females with narrow pelvic bones in one line n tiny males with wide pelvic bones in another. Generally in each line of breed male is slightly at least heavy n thicker n bigger. One line females are larger etc than males.

Back
Top Bottom