Need advice from someone with experience with guinea fowl

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
I have been raising GF sense 2007 and have not once had a problem with any keets i have hatched and raised here, back in march i decided to order more colors to add to my flocks, my keets were shipped out and i was not informed of this , they also did not put hold for pickup on the box nor my phone number per special order request THEY asked for when i placed my order back in march....so these babies sat in the PO longer than they should have in the first place, 5 were dead by time i got their to pick them up, i let this supplier know what had gone on and they did not seem to care that they had dropped the ball in this order so i am upset with them to begin with..

When i opened up the box and inspected the dead ones i noticed three had very wet butts, , the company Finley notified me that they sent my keets a days after i had already picked them up and they knew i had them because the PO called them to get my number so they could get ahold of me to pick them up, anyhow when the company finely sent me an e-mail they told me to put the keets on terramycin in their water and when i asked why they told me because they could get stressed during shipment and get a bacterial infection, well i never heard of this but i did go ahead am put them on the terramycin and have had them on it sense last Saturday , every day sense i picked them up 2 to 3 would get the wet butt and i would pull them and put them in a spare room in my hatchery away from the rest and i would lose them, this morning 9 more have the same thing and i just do not know what to make of this,

, they were eating and drinking fine their droppings appear to be normal color and consistency but a bit watery at times then they go off their feed , no smell at all, their vents are not red nor swollen .i clean them off when i pull them so as not to have them all matted up

i feed the 24% dumor chick starter ground up with 10% ultra kibble, i have kept corid in their water as a preventive for cocci sense the day i got them home from the PO , they are not not exposed to any other animals here nor are they outside ..
I am diligent with clean food and water dishes as well as their brooders , i have kept them quarantined from all my other birds sense day one in my new shop .
the brooder is a 4 by 8 feet with 1 heat lamp at one end and a regular 40 watt bulb on the other end , i do not run the heat lamp during the day we do not need it , they are no other animals of any kind around them

Is there anyone here that may have experienced such a thing from their very young keets ?

I will be calling my Vet in the AM to see if he can send any off for a necropsy but that will take a week to get results if he can so i need to try and find out what i may be up against now if i can....

I have added photos of the wet area before and after i clean them off .. this baby is not dead in the photo but may be by tomorrow if i can not figure out what is wrong before I can get it or a dead one to the vet for a necropsy and have a stool sample checked

I am amazed that know one here could help here as long as this forum has been up and running

, I got a handle on this now I stopped the meds they were on and put apple cider vinegar in their water and no more problems as of yesterday this took care of what ever bacteria was causing the problem with these keets , hope this helps someone in the future that may have the same problem

Back
Top Bottom