Housing a small breeding flock

CanuckWinter

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Hi guys,

I was wondering how your guys house your breeding birds? I am thinking of building some coops with attached runs for the birds. And I'm thinking of keeping 4-5 hens per rooster to try and help avoid over breeding. Has anyone had any success with a system like this? And can I keep the runs side by side, or will the roo's hurt themselves trying to fight through the fence?

just throw up a sight barrier in b/n runs. piece of tin, cut tarp? wood, etc
Awesome plan! Wish I had the $$$. I would want/have the same set-up.

So will my sight barrier have to go the whole way up the side of the run, say, all 6ft. Or do you think 3ft would work.

My Inlaws run a lumber mill. It helps a lot with building stuff, Especially chicken coops. I can get all the rejected boads
1f60a.png

definitely not the whole way up. I'm sorry, I should have specified. Again, very lucky!!! I need 4 more pens for breeding projects (at least) But I have to settle with one large 10x10 coop and a 10x6 tractor. Now I just need a good broody hen... Recently hatched 14 chicks (out of 20 something eggs, idr) out of an incubator, but omg that hatch was stressful. It was so much easier with my hen hatched chicks.

Oh so nice! I love the little ones. im thinking of going with an incubator. My broody just hatched 1/6 eggs. He is going to be the most pame red little chick.

Back
Top Bottom