Broody Hen Probs

tw8man

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
Oklahoma
So, I have two hens that have been laying on eggs for like two weeks now. We want them to hatch eggs, but none of the eggs they are laying on are fertilized because the roo is a bantam and the hens are pretty big
hmm.png
So, is it okay to buy some hatching eggs online? And if so, how many? TIA!

Are you certain the eggs aren't fertilized? Did you check any yolks for the fertile bullseye? It's amazing how most of those little guys can do much more than we think, lol...

You can get shipped eggs if you want, but expect no more than 50% to hatch... some do better and some worse depending on how damaged the air cells and yolks get going through the PO... just order as amny as will fit under both hens... but I would candle the eggs under them first just to see... you never know... ;)

And if they are fertile/hatch please post pics of the bantam x standards as they grow. Would be very interesting to see how big they turn out

Are you certain the eggs aren't fertilized? Did you check any yolks for the fertile bullseye? It's amazing how most of those little guys can do much more than we think, lol...

You can get shipped eggs if you want, but expect no more than 50% to hatch... some do better and some worse depending on how damaged the air cells and yolks get going through the PO... just order as amny as will fit under both hens... but I would candle the eggs under them first just to see... you never know... ;)

Yes, I've checked them... It seems that none of them are fertile:( I'm planning on getting two bantam hens.

Just a thought, but buying day old chicks may be an option. Problem with this, from what i have read, is that some broodies will accept chicks, and others will not, so you would need a plan B in case things don't work out. If you don't try, you will never know - thats the way I look at it. This option at least means that you don't waste money on non-viable eggs, and if you choose sexed chicks you (in theory) will have no cockerels to get rid of.

CT

Back
Top Bottom