Shell stuck on chick?

jvaldez

Hatching
Jul 22, 2016
My chicks leg and butt is still half in the shell and its been trying to move around to get it off for about 20-30 min now. Should I help it? And when? I have 3 that just hatched so I don't want to risk chill or humidity drop with the others so just curious. Also they're quails if that matters

Is the shell still stuck on him? Is it inhibiting him from getting on his feet ok? If you have good humidity in your incubator you should be fine to open it up and get that shell off of him. :)

Do not help him yet, if her is struggling it is most lightly that he is not ready to come out yet. I would leave him for a bit more and then if you feel he is properly stuck, gently help him but don't break the membrane. If you are worried about the other chicks, put a warm scrunch of tissue paper in the incubator when you open it (to keep up humidity) and take them out.

Sorry for late response but the chick did end up getting the shell off after struggling for a couple of hours. He is healthy and chirping and all that but his feet are kind of deformed. His claws are bent backwards and he walks on his ankles I guess. Do u know if he'll be ok living like that?

Sorry for late response but the chick did end up getting the shell off after struggling for a couple of hours. He is healthy and chirping and all that but his feet are kind of deformed. His claws are bent backwards and he walks on his ankles I guess. Do u know if he'll be ok living like that?

I wish I would have seen this post sooner. Are the toes curled? Can you post a pic? You can use two pieces of tape and make "booties" that will fix it. Best to do it ASAP before the muscles really harden like that. Here's a pic and a link....

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I had a hen hatch a few eggs and one of the chicks was stuck to the hen. The chick couldn't get away and whenever the hen got up to move the chick was dangling from her feathers. I took a pair of scissors and nipped off the tip of the hen feathers and all was fine. That chick is about 8 weeks now.

I had a hen hatch a few eggs and one of the chicks was stuck to the hen. The chick couldn't get away and whenever the hen got up to move the chick was dangling from her feathers. I took a pair of scissors and nipped off the tip of the hen feathers and all was fine. That chick is about 8 weeks now.

I had the same exact thing happen!!! :lau
Glad to know I'm not the only one that experienced that! Mine was a silkie too so it was easy to cut the chick free.

Back
Top Bottom