Hello - new membewr introduction

Tam72

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Hi everyone,

My name is Tammy and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I have just joined the forum today after every question that I google about chickens seems to bring me to this forum for answers. I am a first time chookie owner. I have wanted chickens for over 10 years since moving to a five acre property. My hubby was always hesitant as he thought the chickens would encourage snakes to come to the property.

After much persuasion, my clever hubby finally built me a beautiful coop and pen and we purchased our first chickens (around 5-8 weeks old) on 30th April. We have 18 chickens in total. I didn't know I could love them so much. They are certainly addictive!!! (I have to say that even the hubby seems to love them as well - haha). I have spent a lot of time googling for information as this is all new to me and I have so much to learn.

We had a lot of excitement in our household a week ago as I found our first egg in one of the nesting boxes. The hubby thought we had a fox or snake in the pen as I came running back to the house screaming and yelling in excitement - haha.

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping there may be someone that can assist me with. We have just discovered that one of our "girls" has grown into a boy. He is a light sussex. I have four chickens that I am trying to work out if they are hens or roos. I will start a thread with some photos when I learn how to do that and see if anyone can help me out. I am also wondering if it is okay to have a light sussex rooster with a caramel pekin or whether there is a good chance that he might hurt her re the size difference. If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps,

Tam

Thanks heaps for your help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom