What to feed the chicks when you run out of chicken feed

cukuriku

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
We gave them some rice crispies cereal, but a brand that makes it out of brown rice (96%) and the rest is cane sugar and sea salt, so definitely much healthier for them than another sugary cereal. We also gave them some egg salad that we had leftover. This way they get their proteins and carbs. Any other suggestions for their main source of nutrients? And also, how much longer can it last this way, we dont have a store in our town that sells chicken feed so we're still researching where to get our hands on some more. We did find out though that not far from us out of town there's a store which sells food for laying chickens, but the question is if it's ok to feed the little guys that food regularly, I imagine that chicks and laying chickens need different types of feed with different percentages of protein and carb content, along with vitamins etc.

Believe it or not your ot going to find significant differences in any poultry feed as to nutritional content. Differences are from source of protein and if corn (GMO) is used. Protein content is your largest variant. Our local feed mill has 20% protein for everything and though I've not had the time when in the back store room to check every tag have yet to see a difference in any of the nutritional break down tags. Makes total sense but also cracks me up they bother to put "broiler feed" or any other tag on their product as it could be simply three products they sell- "crumble", "pellet" and "layer". Layer feed is just that- feed with addition of calcium for egg shell thickness. There is no other difference though most companies use less protein for adult birds. Some I've seen as low as 15%.

If you use cracked corn or mixed scratch grains then feeding them solely that for a few days until you get to feed store is perfectly fine. If push came to shove old bread from local store and all your fridge left overs would be good for few days.

Believe it or not your ot going to find significant differences in any poultry feed as to nutritional content. Differences are from source of protein and if corn (GMO) is used. Protein content is your largest variant. Our local feed mill has 20% protein for everything and though I've not had the time when in the back store room to check every tag have yet to see a difference in any of the nutritional break down tags. Makes total sense but also cracks me up they bother to put "broiler feed" or any other tag on their product as it could be simply three products they sell- "crumble", "pellet" and "layer". Layer feed is just that- feed with addition of calcium for egg shell thickness. There is no other difference though most companies use less protein for adult birds. Some I've seen as low as 15%.

If you use cracked corn or mixed scratch grains then feeding them solely that for a few days until you get to feed store is perfectly fine. If push came to shove old bread from local store and all your fridge left overs would be good for few days.
Thanks so much for your help, it was very informative. So to feed the chicks with egg-laying chicken food u say is safe on a general basis? Because as far as I know that;s all they sell locally enough near my town.

So basically at this point I have 2 main questions-if the egg laying chicken feed is ok for all chicks and chickens on a regular basis. and 2-my chicks seem to be very picky about wat they eat and they arent really eating much other than eggs (either egg salad or scrambled). The millet i cooked for them they pecked at a little and that was it, and the yogurt they didnt even try. Lettuce they pecked at and stopped, and popcorn and rice crispies didnt appeal to them that much either (although the rice crispies was more succesful than the other unsuccesful stuff). Is it normal that they're so picky? and wat other suggestions do u have to feed them in the meantime?

Back
Top Bottom