Best Place(s) to buy Live Mealworms ?

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)
I stopped by a Petsmart store yesterday to pick up some treats for my hens and a new waterer.. asked if they have any live mealworms.. 50 or 100 looks like quite a few of them are dead out of the container :/.. $5 for 100 count.. also stopped by Wincos to get some wheat bran ($0.49/lb) do you know any place to get live mealworm at a cheaper price ? thanks

Last edited:
If you want a large amount that you can feed out gradually, I've had two good experiences with Rainbow Mealworms online. When they arrive, just dump them in a plastic storage box with a layer of old-fashioned rolled oats and provide an occasional veggie for moisture (I prefer cabbage leaves as they don't seem to mold, others use baby carrots). When you want to hand out the treats, just scoop some out!

If you want a large amount that you can feed out gradually, I've had two good experiences with Rainbow Mealworms online. When they arrive, just dump them in a plastic storage box with a layer of old-fashioned rolled oats and provide an occasional veggie for moisture (I prefer cabbage leaves as they don't seem to mold, others use baby carrots). When you want to hand out the treats, just scoop some out!

thank you !

it's a lot cheaper than Petsmart ($5 for 100 count ?)

I'm sure a lot of petsmarts prices comes from packaging, storage, shipping, etc... Yup, it's expensive, but I did it a couple times while my girls were still little fluff balls cause they loved em!!! Crickets were a lot of fun too.

Careful how many you buy at once, particularly during what season. If you buy 10,000 during a hot summer you may inadvertently find yourself as a mealworm breeder
1f62c.png

Not necessarily a bad thing,

I just placed an order with Rainbow and they were really great to work with. They should arrive tomorrow. I ordered 10,000 because price wise it was so much better than what I've been getting at the pet store. I do indeed intend to start breeding them but it doesn't look difficult. There are some good threads here to help.

I'm sure a lot of petsmarts prices comes from packaging, storage, shipping, etc... Yup, it's expensive, but I did it a couple times while my girls were still little fluff balls cause they loved em!!! Crickets were a lot of fun too.

Careful how many you buy at once, particularly during what season. If you buy 10,000 during a hot summer you may inadvertently find yourself as a mealworm breeder
1f62c.png

Not necessarily a bad thing,

i only have 5 chickens so i think 1000 would be fine $7+ $6 shipping.. it's not bad.. i'll order it today

since i'm in AZ.. i think they will multiple pretty fast in 110+ heat.

we have 6 months of summer pretty much around here in phoenix..

The worms themselves won't multiply... They are larvae for a little creature called a darkling beetle.

They'll go into a dormant phase, similar to a cocoon, come out as a beetle, mate, lay eggs, wash rinse repeat. If you're looking for more mealworms, I believe you need to separate the beetles from the eggs, then allow the eggs to hatch and grow. Many people set up a multipul container location to allow some of the worms to grow to feeding size, others to grow out to beetles, and space for the eggs to grow and hatch.

The worms themselves won't multiply... They are larvae for a little creature called a darkling beetle.

They'll go into a dormant phase, similar to a cocoon, come out as a beetle, mate, lay eggs, wash rinse repeat. If you're looking for more mealworms, I believe you need to separate the beetles from the eggs, then allow the eggs to hatch and grow. Many people set up a multipul container location to allow some of the worms to grow to feeding size, others to grow out to beetles, and space for the eggs to grow and hatch.

can they fly out of the container if i didn't have a mesh wire lid on it ?

do i have to put veggies/fruits in with them or wheat grain is ok?

No, they don't fly. They can crawl up sides, so a lid with only tiny holes is a good idea.

I believe they just eat the oats/chicken feed and that the fruit or potato is mostly for moisture.

There are a lot of good guides out there that can give you some solid info.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom