Found baby pigeon that can't use it's legs

octaviafcb

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
Hello, I found a baby pigeon which I assume to be 20 or so days old. He does not use it's legs, has to walk with his wings. I have inspected the legs and they don't respond to anything, I wonder if they are broken.
Also, when I try to feed him he squeaks, opens his wings and beaks the palm of my hand I don't know what that means.
Please, I don't know how to take care of him and I want to save him. Someone help me please.

The beaking is because baby pigeons eat by sticking their beak down the parents throat. He is trying that with your hand I would say.

I found this site helpful http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

I have a pigeon with a problem with its legs that sounds similar though yours sounds more like an injury. It doesn't really affect him too much in the safety of our little aviary but would never live in the wild. You need to decide if you are ready to keep it for life and keep another as a friend as they need to be in pairs. It's also important to try and work out if it's in pain as that's not fair to the poor thing either. I would see if you have a vet nearby you can get advice on if it's broken or genetic like mine. Often they don't charge for native rescues. There is a fine line between saving and keeping alive in pain so I really think you need some expert input on this one.

Last edited:
when young pigeons don't walk around like chicks the wings out strectched is a begging for for food just like the beaking try dipping its beak in water see if it will drink can you post pic of bird to determine age

Thank you very much, where I live, not all veterinarians take care of birds. I have a rabbit and a turtle, and If I ever need to I can only take them to a veterinary, I can't take them to where I usually take my dog and cat, the other is a little out of reach. That one also takes care of birds but they charge a lot of money, even if it is a pigeon. Also they are more likely to put it down unless I pay for it's care, and I don't have any money. I've been trying to contact several veterinary hospitals to see If I can do anything about it. I was inspecting the poor baby's legs once more, he didn't complain, I didn't seem to feel anything broken, but the tibia and shin are not articulated and it seemed swollen and purple around that area. (english is not my main language I hope I explained the morphology well).
The site is helping me a lot, thank you

Woa! This was very helpful! I can't get him to drink water, and I need to feed him only when he's rehydrated

Here is a picture of it.
I was able to feed him!!!! Now I just have to take him to the vet because of his legs, I hope they are not very injured, I found a condition that can cause this on pigeons, there is a way to mend it

It is perfectly normal for a pigeon that age to not be able to use it's legs.That bird is probably 2 weeks old. When it reaches a month old every thing will be proportional and things will fall into place.

Back
Top Bottom