Please tell me what it is and how to fix it

skylerw

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016

This is smokey my blue Andalusian rooster I got home from work to see him like this please help me to figure out what it is we have an appointment at 430 to go to the vet but I don't think they normally do chickens his wattles are swollen and very warm and feel like they are full of water or blood

Not seen this before. The fact that you said its very warm and swollen, leads me to believe its some sort of infection or bug bite. The purple tint is usually an indication of dehydration or frostbite, but does not accompany the other symptoms and is usually on their combs, not waddles only.

What is the weather like where you are? Please let us know what the vet says. Well wishes for your roo.

It could possibly be a tick bite which has caused the blue color and swelling. Ticks can secrete an anticoagulant causing bleeding. He does have a couple of bloody spots on his comb that looks like pecks or insect bites. I would give him a 1/2 dose of children's benadryl one time only, to see if the swelling goes down. Does he have any other symptoms that you know of? Is it warm where you live now?

Ok he's back from the vet wife said that they said it was just an infection they drained his wattles and it was a dark brown color but first was a white puss then the dark brown sent us home with some meds and we will see how it goes looks like he's gonna get spoiled for a few days at least to let him heal so the others don't pick at him

We live in northwest Louisiana so it's pretty hot everything I found that was similar was from frost bite but that is definitely not the problem in this case 7 days in side and 2weeks to a month from the flock and meds til they are gone

Wow! Thanks for keeping us updated. Never heard of infection of the waddles. Anything is possible with chickens! Good job being so proactive. I'm going to research that.

Infectious coryza and fowl cholera are two diseases that can cause swollen wattles. But I would wondr if he has an infection from a peck wound or an abscess from an injury. Thanks for posting about your vet visit. It always helps to learn what was wrong. Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom