In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2015
We have 3 female mallards
1 male call duck
2 female call ducks
In the future we want to have eggs and incubate them and hatch them
Don't know where we start as we are new to having ducks
Anyone know how to do this???

I'm new to ducks myself (mine are only a couple months old) but I know that the call ducks are seasonal layers. Do you have them all penned together? Just collect eggs as you find them, for about a week. Store the eggs in a cool, humid place...basements are great. At the end of the week set all of them in the incubator. Do you have an incubator? And do you know how long mallard eggs take? Calls are 26 days.

Thank you! I haven't a clue how long mallards take? Do you know anything about turning, what incubator temp has to be at for call duck eggs? What age do call ducks start to lay and how do you know if they are going to hatch, and not just a normal duck egg to eat? Also if you know anything about this candeling for the eggs? Thanks if you do know

I'm new to ducks myself (mine are only a couple months old) but I know that the call ducks are seasonal layers. Do you have them all penned together? Just collect eggs as you find them, for about a week. Store the eggs in a cool, humid place...basements are great. At the end of the week set all of them in the incubator. Do you have an incubator? And do you know how long mallard eggs take? Calls are 26 days.
Thanks you for your help

Thank you! I haven't a clue how long mallards take? Do you know anything about turning, what incubator temp has to be at for call duck eggs? What age do call ducks start to lay and how do you know if they are going to hatch, and not just a normal duck egg to eat? Also if you know anything about this candeling for the eggs? Thanks if you do know

Yup, I can sure help you with all that. From what I've read if the ducks were hatched around spring time they will start laying by the next spring. If you have the male with them then they should be fertile for hatching. You can crack one open and check for a white spot on the yolk with a white circle around it. It's referred to as a bullseye. (You can still eat fertile eggs, just FYI). I really love my brinsea incubators. If you want an easy, extra dependable incubator that only holds around a dozen eggs there is the mini Eco for $100. Or you can go with the brinsea octagon 20 Eco that will hold around 24-30 eggs for $170. Those are the best. I also have a hovabator 1583 and it holds a million eggs (just kidding but it's really big & I'm not sure how many it holds) and I think it was like $100. It is a good styrofoam incubator. Temps for those incubators (forced air) is 99.5-100 and humidity is not as set %....don't listen if someone says it has to be a certain %. You can start around 30% and you have to monitor the air cell growth and adjust according to what the eggs need. I hand turn 5 x day. You should definitely read the hatching 101 guide. Even though it's for chickens you'll need to know all the info in there. I could write a novel on the how's & whys of hatching but it's already been written. Lol.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Oh and candling is the best part. You need a bright, small LED flashlight and you shine it into the fat end of the egg. That's where the air cell is and under that you watch as the baby ducks grow. They are amazing eggs to candle. Super easy to see into!

Yup, I can sure help you with all that. From what I've read if the ducks were hatched around spring time they will start laying by the next spring. If you have the male with them then they should be fertile for hatching. You can crack one open and check for a white spot on the yolk with a white circle around it. It's referred to as a bullseye. (You can still eat fertile eggs, just FYI). I really love my brinsea incubators. If you want an easy, extra dependable incubator that only holds around a dozen eggs there is the mini Eco for $100. Or you can go with the brinsea octagon 20 Eco that will hold around 24-30 eggs for $170. Those are the best. I also have a hovabator 1583 and it holds a million eggs (just kidding but it's really big & I'm not sure how many it holds) and I think it was like $100. It is a good styrofoam incubator. Temps for those incubators (forced air) is 99.5-100 and humidity is not as set %....don't listen if someone says it has to be a certain %. You can start around 30% and you have to monitor the air cell growth and adjust according to what the eggs need. I hand turn 5 x day. You should definitely read the hatching 101 guide. Even though it's for chickens you'll need to know all the info in there. I could write a novel on the how's & whys of hatching but it's already been written. Lol.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Oh and candling is the best part. You need a bright, small LED flashlight and you shine it into the fat end of the egg. That's where the air cell is and under that you watch as the baby ducks grow. They are amazing eggs to candle. Super easy to see into!

Wow thank you so much for all your help can't wait for them to lay eggs now :D

Back
Top Bottom