Pheasants with other poultry

ProperPoultry

Hatching
Jul 6, 2016
ayr
Hi there

I was wondering if I can keep pheasants in a pen beside my duck and chicken run, the pheasant aviary is on the outside of the chicken run, they are separated by a fence and back side of the aviary. Also can I keep a ring neck cock and a golden cock pheasant together if they have hens of there Own if so now many to stop them fighting I can have a maximum of 8 in my old chicken coop and avairy which the pheasants will use

Hi Properpoultry, and WELCOME TO BYC.
You could keep your pheasants the way you describe in your post, IF you have good BioSecurity;ie, don't track feces and other contaminants from your duck and chicken pens into your pheasant pens. Chickens are carriers of disease's that they can tolerate but will kill pheasants.
As far as having Ringnecked and Golden cock birds in the same pen, that's a NO! Ringnecked males are super aggressive and territorial and will fight to the death with other males of the same or different species. Goldens are territorial also, and have been known to even kill a hen when introduce to "it's" pen. A blood bath will occur if you attempt to run them together in the same pen. HTH Good Luck

Agree with 007Sean I would be especially warily about putting them near the ducks as ducks are horrible with making a mess with their food and water which could be a problem when it came to preventing coccidiosis in the pheasants. Rule of thumb when it comes to pheasants it's almost a 100% requirement that they be separated according to species. Only exception is when they are younger and not of breeding age otherwise aggression from the males and sometimes even the hens will be to much and a bird will end up seriously injured or killed.

Agree with 007Sean I would be especially warily about putting them near the ducks as ducks are horrible with making a mess with their food and water which could be a problem when it came to preventing coccidiosis in the pheasants. Rule of thumb when it comes to pheasants it's almost a 100% requirement that they be separated according to species. Only exception is when they are younger and not of breeding age otherwise aggression from the males and sometimes even the hens will be to much and a bird will end up seriously injured or killed.
Yep, Midnightman14, I've even had hens that were together from day 1 try to kill eachother after more than a year together! Never figured that one out. These were Golden hens, 5 hens together with 1 male in a 300sq.ft. pen. My motto is when in doubt, DON'T.

That's the reason when planning and building pens you should always plan/build extra pens for the unexpected bar room brawl, quarantine or wound recovery.

Plus pheasants are addicting and there is always one more species that catches your eye and you suddenly REALLY want it.
Midnightman14 and Tony, your both so right about that!!!!! but it's not necessarily pheasants, i've got the "I need it now" for Chinese Bamboo partridge, built new pens for them with 2 extra pens cause i know i can't STOP at 2 pair.LOL

Midnightman14 and Tony, your both so right about that!!!!! but it's not necessarily pheasants, i've got the "I need it now" for Chinese Bamboo partridge, built new pens for them with 2 extra pens cause i know i can't STOP at 2 pair.LOL
I think Don Hungsinger in Pa has Chinese bamboos.I have his # if you need it.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom