How to Peel Chicken Feet?

Baymule

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
We slaughtered 22 roosters and I kept the feet. I've read how the feet make a good broth, but you have to peel them. Ok, so I got my pot boiling, dropped feet in and let the pot come back to a boil. I let them boil for 3 minutes, took them out and put them in cold water. Proceeded to peel the feet. I thought the yellow skin would come off in a thin layer, leaving a "skin" underneath the yellow skin. Nope. I peeled the skin off, down to the meat and tendons. It was a mess, took a long time to peel and the longer they sat, the harder it got to peel them. I cut the toenails off too.

I think I blanched them too long. How long was I supposed to blanch them? Is it always this hard to peel the feet?

Boil them in small batches for 20-30 seconds. You should only boil as many feet as you can peel while they are still warm EVEN after the ice bath. The ice bath should be quick too. You are only trying to get off a membrane that is maybe a millimeter or two thick. When you blanch it for longer you start effecting all of the muscle below the skin.

Thank you very much. I knew I did it wrong. Boy, do I ever know I did it wrong! I'll sure know better next time! We have 9 more roosters and two old laying hens to go yet, you can bet that I won't make this mistake again! Now I know the RIGHT way to peel feet. Thank you so very much.

Agree. I set my timer for even less, 15 to 18 seconds. 15 for relatively young birds, 18 for old hens and roosters. Any longer than that and the skin tears really easily for me. It's a pain t peel. Just like blanching veggies for the freezer, start the clock when they go in, not when it comes to a boil.

I thought I posted that a day or two ago on Red's chicken math thread on the Gardening Forum, but that could be my memory going. It could have been on a thread in this forum.

Agree. I set my timer for even less, 15 to 18 seconds. 15 for relatively young birds, 18 for old hens and roosters. Any longer than that and the skin tears really easily for me. It's a pain t peel. Just like blanching veggies for the freezer, start the clock when they go in, not when it comes to a boil.

I thought I posted that a day or two ago on Red's chicken math thread on the Gardening Forum, but that could be my memory going. It could have been on a thread in this forum.
Haha Ridge, we are a little older and we have to make adjustments....... memory......Huh?

I boiled those blanched and peeled to death feet, and made some nice broth, 9 pints. I processed 6 chickens today and canned 7 quarts of future dog food-the backs and those terrible peeled feet. I saved the skins off the feet and am giving them to the dogs in their kibble. They love it. I froze the breast meat and cut off the thigh and leg meat. I'll process some more birds tomorrow and then can the meat. I have a pot in the refrigerator of wings, breast bon and leg bones. Tomorrow I'll pick the meat off and can the broth. Also making a batch of lime pickles, they are soaking tonight and I'll make them tomorrow.

Haha Ridge, we are a little older and we have to make adjustments....... memory......Huh?

I boiled those blanched and peeled to death feet, and made some nice broth, 9 pints. I processed 6 chickens today and canned 7 quarts of future dog food-the backs and those terrible peeled feet. I saved the skins off the feet and am giving them to the dogs in their kibble. They love it. I froze the breast meat and cut off the thigh and leg meat. I'll process some more birds tomorrow and then can the meat. I have a pot in the refrigerator of wings, breast bon and leg bones. Tomorrow I'll pick the meat off and can the broth. Also making a batch of lime pickles, they are soaking tonight and I'll make them tomorrow.
Yum! I love this part of the year, getting to reap all of the rewards of a long hot summer!

If it helps for next time I always do mine when I'm plucking. On my last feather removing dip in the hot water I make sure to submerge the feet for 15-20 seconds and the scales peel right off. For me it is much easier to do when I have them attached to the bird instead of fiddling around with loose feet. And if they are stubborn I nip the toenails off first.

I am done with those roosters. Overall, I got 48 pint jars of broth, from the feet, and from boiling the bones and carcass. I have 9 more to butcher and a neighbor has laid claim to 5 of them for her freezer. I will be using the advice I have received here on the next batch of feet!

Back
Top Bottom