Newbie at incubating...

alpinefaith

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 8, 2015
Are my eggs going to hatch?? I have 30 eggs incubating, it is now day 22. So far, one healthy chick has hatched, and 2 others pipped and then died. I also removed one rotten egg and one that didnt develop. Temp has been constant, maybe went up a degree yesterday, but came back down overnight. Humidity is holding at 75%. Just trying to understand where I went wrong. I had seen 2 of the remaining eggs rocking, but no movement now for the last 24 hrs. Did they die? I know they don't all hatch at the same time, but the recent bad hatches have me worried. I was late taking them off the turner for final lock down, could that have over stressed the chicks? What else should I be doing?

Update: one more survivor hatched, and another pipped and died. Are they weak chicks? What causes this? Waiting for the rest of the eggs to pip....

Just seeing your post. What was the outcome? Did you get your questions answered? What was the humidity during the 1st 18 days?

Hi elemes! I also posted this under incubating/ hatching and got some good info on humidity and Temps. It looks like I had temp too low, and humidity too high, and some of the eggs I used were not fresh enough. So I did everything wrong.
1f615.png

Initially, I was told humidity should be 50-60%, and once I filled the Wells, it settled at 60, so I was satisfied with that until the last 3 days when they say you should increase it, so I got it to 75.

Anyway, after my second chick there has been no more activity so I think the rest have died in the shell. I waited, hoping, but I am about to give up and clear out the incubator. Even late hatchers should have pipped by now. I guess this was just a big learning experience, and I should count my blessings that I got 2 happy bouncing chicks out of it.

Well you're right to count the blessings you have and concentrate on the hatched. They'll need you now! Don't be too hard on yourself! I fought battles this past month with about every force that could have preyed on the eggs and managed to just get 1 little hatcher. Glad you got some helpful stuff here though!!

Back
Top Bottom