Help ID this pullet?

asiawaka

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
Northern Colorado
This gal has stumped everyone I asked. I hatched her March 21st out of a mix from a local woman so I could practice incubating. Kept this one hoping for colorful eggs. Did I mess up? I'm thinking she has leghorn in her, hasn't laid yet but is sitting in nesting boxes.
Possible Roos: 4 cream legbar 1white leghorn 2 black copper Marana

Possible hens: white leghorn, cream legbar, red hybrid layer, ameraucana, lavender orpington, rhodebar, Black copper maran, cochin, barred rock, and Rhode island red

What color are her ear lobes? If they are white, the probability is that she is a purebred leghorn, and she will lay white eggs.

idunno.gif
Okay, but I can't see any other mating combination from the birds available that would produce a white pullet with white ear lobes.

I don't have any leghorn so please correct me if I'm wrong but others said leghorn get pretty huge combs early on. I know it totally has me stumped.

What type of comb does she have? It looks like something mixed, but I can't see the pic very well. I'm thinking one straight combed parent, and one non-straight combed parent.
That would make the most likely cross the Leghorn rooster over the ameraucana/EE hen, but we'd need to know more about the hen in question. I'd expect that cross to have a beard/muffs and different colored legs.

I don't think she looks pure Leghorn. The comb is too small, and the body shape is off. Leghorns have very upright tails and are slender.

I wish I knew more about genetics, here's a closer picture of her comb it looks to be singleish, it was very flat as a chick.No tufts no beard no fluffy Orpington tail that I can tell. I've been waiting to see some color leakage but she has none yet. Thank you for helping

:idunno   Okay, but I can't see any other mating combination from the birds available that would produce a white pullet with white ear lobes.

If the Cream Lebars have the recessive white gene they can produce white birds with white earlobes all by themselves, can't say how that recessive white gene would come into play in any potential cross breeding but if crossed with a bird that has a dominant white gene (like a Leghorn) it appears all white birds are a likely result...

In fact the bird in question might actually be a White Sport Cream Lebar, as a non-crested or small crested one would look like that at that age... What color egg did it hatch out of? If it was blue chances are it's a White Sport CL...

Last edited:
I wish I had learned to separate eggs prior to this so I have no idea, I had so many babies I couldn't decide. I've looked over her for leakage and she doesn't have any colors coming through. I thought that would be a hint. Hopefully when she lays well have a better idea. I'm waiting and waiting. I also thought if she was leghorn she would have started to lay earlier as I've heard they lay fairly early. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom