(IMPORTANT) Can hens live with pigeons?

ItzzGaming

Hatching
Aug 18, 2016
So I'm in a really messy situation. I have a very small outdoor hen coop that used to hold 4 chickens (1 rooster, 3 hens). And a pigeon coop on my deck (that holds about 30-40+ pigeons). The hen coop fell apart and a raccoon came and ate my rooster last night. My dad, the one who built the coops, is out of town for about a week. So my only choice, since I can't repair the coop myself, is to move my 3 remaining hens in with my pigeons.

However I need to know if this will have any harmful side effects. There are some chicks, one likes to stay around the bottom floor (we have several "cubbies" for each pair of pigeons and their chicks but sometimes they like to nest on the floor). And I need to know if my hens will harm them. All the other eggs and pigeons either like to sit on a perch or in their cubbies (which are about a foot off the ground) so I think they will be fine but clarification for this would be appreciated.

My hens aren't very aggressive, bar one of them (a red hen that is broody at the time of writing). The other two are jumpy (a smaller hen) and passive (I don't actually know the breed of the third one but they're white with a black face and feet; very fluffy with purple-black points on the top of her head).

Any advice?

chickens and pigeons do not mix you will hear of exceptions but no try if you have to but watch closely maybe turn chickens out at day time and put in small dog carrier at night

Quote: I have been keeping birds for decades all most 67 trips around the sun short answer NO. In an emergency situation you can get by. For any long period you will suffer losses in the pigeon population.

Last edited:
In large uncrowded areas they will mix OK.. but NEVER when either species is breeding.

A better idea would be to put them in a big cage or dog crate until you can fix their coop.

I guess decide which you would rather risk loosing - young pigeons on the floor who are too young to escape the hens, or the another chicken to the raccoon. I have mixed them in the past with success, but there are so many caveats, especially if the pigeons are breeding, as to how to mix them that it's easier to say no than list them all. But in an emergency I'd probably jest try putting the chickens in some kind of cage in the secure location like the garage or house, but if that's not an option I probably be inclined to try them with the pigeons, but just at night and then remove them early in the morning so they don't pick in the babies pigeons

It should be fine for a little while but it would help if the hens could be out side during the day. I would not worry about them killing any pigeons but, they could rip some feathers out. I had my pigeons and chickens together but, that didn't work so well so I ended up selling all 11 of my chickens yesterday. :D

Back
Top Bottom