Blood at newly hatched chicken buttock

absa

Hatching
Aug 19, 2016
Hi
My chick just hatched few hours ago , when i saw it its one eye was bleeding may be the mama chicken or the other chick that hatched pecked its eye , so i removed it and put it in incubator. I also noticed there is a blood clot at his buttock , not sure if its a clot or something coming out. Any body has any idea what should i do with it

Hi :welcome

Your pic is a little blurry but it looks like the umbilical area has not closed up correctly after hatch. Do you have some iodine you can pop on it? It needs to be kept as clean as possible for it to have a chance.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I put a big ol blob of neo on it when they are like that. Chick will be fine if you put either the iodine or neo on it. :)

Nothing looks too bad with your chick. Getting something on that area and it should be fine. As for the eye I can't see anything actually cut open so that should be ok too if you just clean it up. Once your chick is dry and fluffy it will look totally different.

Was it a late hatcher compared to the other chicks your hen hatched?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply , really appreciate it . Heres the latest picture after applying iodine

I have still kept it in incubator with temperature 97 , how long should i put it there

Untill it's dry, fluffy and has had time to recover from hatch. Are you going to try and put it back under the hen when it's stronger? If so I would do this at night when it's dark and the hen is at her quietest. Fingers crossed she will accept it back or you're going to have brood the chick your self.

Back
Top Bottom