Visiting the USA!!

Carin

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
South Africa
We are planning to visit the USA next year (2017)June, July. We are traveling from Chicago to Los Angeles via Route 66 starting on the 8th of June and finishing on the 22 of June. There after we plan to make our way to New York to be in New York on the 8th of July. I know this is not a traveling site but I would like to visit chicken swaps and chicken shows and chicken meetups. I am a breeder of partridge Brahmas (LF).
We want to be at a small town on the 4th of July to experience your celebrations but not the big city celebrations. Any suggestions as to which town would be appreciated.
We are a family of four- me, my hubby and two teenagers- boy and girl. Also any info that you think we can use- we are on a budget but we planned for this trip since two years ago.
Please help me plan this trip of a lifetime for us!!

That is so exciting!! I live in North Carolina, so I'm not going to be much help on your trip but I do hope you guys have a wonderful time!!! I think it's great you want to explore the smaller towns instead of a big city, especially during the 4th!! We usually have a pool party, cook a huge meal, invite the whole family, and set off fireworks in our back yard. We started a new "tradition" last year though. We didn't have the money to get fireworks so we bought a couple handfuls of colored glow sticks.. When the sun went down, we opened them all up and threw theM into the pool with the kids!! It wasn't planned that way but it ended up being one of our most memorable holidays to date.. And of course this past year, the kids decided they'd rather have glow sticks again, instead of fireworks!! I truly hope you and your family have a wonderful trip to the USA!!!

Thanks Kat for you response. It seems to me I might have put my request in the wrong part of the forum as you are the only one that responded so far.
Please people I really would like to visit some chicken shows and swaps! We have so far only planned the first part of our trip. I would love to see the USA chickens!

We are planning to visit the USA next year (2017)June, July. We are traveling from Chicago to Los Angeles via Route 66 starting on the 8th of June and finishing on the 22 of June. There after we plan to make our way to New York to be in New York on the 8th of July. I know this is not a traveling site but I would like to visit chicken swaps and chicken shows and chicken meetups. I am a breeder of partridge Brahmas (LF).
We want to be at a small town on the 4th of July to experience your celebrations but not the big city celebrations. Any suggestions as to which town would be appreciated.
We are a family of four- me, my hubby and two teenagers- boy and girl. Also any info that you think we can use- we are on a budget but we planned for this trip since two years ago.
Please help me plan this trip of a lifetime for us!!

WELCOME!! That will be an exciting trip! I put the Route 66 map below so people will know what states you will be hitting. I live in the southern part of Texas, so I can't help you out. If you put your comments in each state, you might get more replies. Here is the Texas forum address:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas/39940

Good luck and have fun!

247535_orig.jpg

Thanks for all the responses so far. We are very excited. We need to go back from LA to NY as that is where we will be heading home from, We need to be in NY city by the 10th of July. We have not decided where to spent the rest of the time

Thanks for all the responses so far. We are very excited.  We need to go back from LA to NY as that is where we will be heading home from, We need to be in NY city by the 10th of July. We have not decided where to  spent the rest of the time

May I suggest possibly a trip that takes you North to the Redwood Forest, then maybe as you set off towards NY you hit up Las Vegas, NV and then the Grand Canyon... At some point in the Midwest start heading North allowing you to see the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore in SD, then you can swing over to the Mall of America in MN, from there bounce into Canada (if your travel papers allow) and then re-enter the NY area at Niagara Falls seeing both the Canadian and US sides...

Of course there is a lot of 'blanks' in the above but they are some sites to see that are quite different then your Route 66 trip...

Last edited:
MeepBeep, I battle to find the Redwood forest on the map. I found a town called Redwood and a National park. Am I correct in thinking you meant the National park?

Back
Top Bottom