girls stopped laying

cmarlowdrive

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
I have read that they stop laying if they get too many table scraps or treats. I have 4 bantams that were giving me 3-4 eggs a day and now 0-1 a day. Should I go back to 0 treats?
Also, I read that too much fruit or lettuce will make runny stools. I have cut back completely on lettuce and fruit but still see runny stools.

They only get a little bread, yogurt, cauliflower now.

So, in my experience giving a chicken to many treats should not affect their egg produce, but with my Bantams they will go back and forth in the amount of egg produced. This is only my experience now my Bantams have also been slowing down I think it's because they are seasonal. Hope I helped.

Yes, thank you. My girls get layer feed and oyster shell all day, but, they love treats. I hate not giving them what they like, but, they are not producing eggs right now and they have runny poo.

Yes, thank you.  My girls get layer feed and oyster shell all day, but, they love treats.  I hate not giving them what they like, but, they are not producing eggs right now and they have runny poo.
I follow the 10% rule. I give them treats twice a day, only what they consume in about 15 minutes each time. GC

If you read the feeding instructions on the label of your layer feed, it will have a statement to the effect - "Feed as the sole ration to hens of laying age".
That means that if you feed other things, you will be disrupting optimal nutrition.
Layer feed is already at a minimum of protein - usually 16%. If the protein is lower than that by giving things that are lower in protein, that could definitely cause a cessation of ovulation.
If giving table scraps, make sure there is plenty of meat and fish in those scraps.

Thank you for all great advice. I plan to back off the extra treats for now. Maybe when they get back to laying, only a small treat on weekends. I hope it won't take long for them to get back to laying eggs every day.
I have been offering yogurt every morning. Thought it might help with runny poo. Yogurt not helping. Will keep to original feeding schedule.

There's nothing wrong with feeding table scraps. That's one of the beauties of keeping chickens. However, all things in moderation.
I give all our table scraps to the chickens but with anywhere from 20 to 60 adult birds, they're lucky if each gets a bite.
For the time being, it wouldn't hurt to switch to a higher protein starter/grower or all flock feed. They aren't laying anyway so as long as they have oyster shell in a separate container, they won't miss the extra calcium in the layer.
I can't stress enough that when giving extras, don't omit sources of animal protein. Chickens, as omnivores, will benefit greatly.
Vegetables and fruits are great but are low in protein - especially certain essential amino acids.

Another thing that could be going on, depending on their age, is onset of molt.
How old are they?

Last edited:
I have one Bantam that may be molting. Looks like there has been a pillow fight in the run. My bantams are rescues, so age unknown. They had been laying when we rescued them. I would say at least 2 years old.

Will try the 22% layer feed, but, company does not ship. Will have to drive to get it. Since my flock is mixed In age, I offer both layer and grower feed. They eat grower feed, mostly.

Mine get a little whole grain every evening in the run, no problem putting them away at night. On Sundays they get a can of Salmon. They love it. Also they love watermelon. I read on BYC that chickens can have watery poop during the hot weather because they are drinking more water.I saw one of my chickens let out about an eight of a cup of clear liquid along with it's normal stool.

Mine get a little whole grain every evening in the run, no problem putting them away at night. On Sundays they get a can of Salmon. They love it. Also they love watermelon. I read on BYC that chickens can have watery poop during the hot weather because they are drinking more water.I saw one of my chickens let out about an eight of a cup of clear liquid along with it's normal stool.

Have you wormed them? I found that when there eggs come out poopy its time to worm or laying slows way down and i suspect it would stop altogether if it didnt worm them.

To deworm i just add 1 TBS of food grade DE per chicken to their feed. Whsn the finish that I do it again then resume normal feeding.

Its worked well for me so far and its all about me learning to read the flock...

Back
Top Bottom