Help! Is this enough of a pip to let air in?

Cerise1924

Crowing
Aug 22, 2016
Willamette Valley, Oregon

I am closing in on 24 hours since I first heard sweet peeping sounds from this peafowl egg. I was relieved to see that little crack in the shell this morning, right where I marked the edge of the air cell on lockdown... but nothing has happened since then. I am worried that the tiny pip maybe isn't actually letting air in, and the chick might die. I have read that chicks only have 24 hours after the internal pip to break through the shell before they run out of oxygen.

Does this look ok? Do I need to do anything? Of six shipped eggs, this is the only one that is peeping or pipping. Precious little pea baby. <3

Thanks for any advice or help.

Looks just fine. If they pecked hard enough to break the shell, they pecked hard enough to break the membrane. And that pip is in exactly the right spot. It's hard work getting through the shell. The chick needs to rest. For up to 24 hours, in some cases. This is also the time when that yolk starts to absorb and the blood vessels begin to recede. All of that takes time.

Looks just fine. If they pecked hard enough to break the shell, they pecked hard enough to break the membrane. And that pip is in exactly the right spot. It's hard work getting through the shell. The chick needs to rest. For up to 24 hours, in some cases. This is also the time when that yolk starts to absorb and the blood vessels begin to recede. All of that takes time.
Bless you and thank you for the prompt and helpful reply! I was wondering if the membrane was still intact somehow, but what you say makes sense. I will leave the little sweetie alone and hope to meet a chick tomorrow.

Thanks again, and have a good night. I feel much better.
smile.png

Congrats on your first pea pip!! I hatched peas last year. That pip looks great! I have a chicken egg that was pipped when I came home yesterday at 4pm. It's still just a crack (a tiny bit bigger crack now) and it's 10pm the next day...well over 24 hours. Some chicks like to take their sweet time!

Congrats on your first pea pip!! I hatched peas last year. That pip looks great! I have a chicken egg that was pipped when I came home yesterday at 4pm. It's still just a crack (a tiny bit bigger crack now) and it's 10pm the next day...well over 24 hours. Some chicks like to take their sweet time!
Thank you! I shall pass the congrats on to little pea, when I see her/him. It's so reassuring to hear from those who know that all looks well. Whew!

Congrats on your little chick pip, too. We'll let them take their time, and I will tense down.
cool.png

I woke up in the middle of the night, and now I am talking to a little peachick as s/he unzips the egg! I hope she isn't a single, lonely chick from this batch of eggs, but I am so grateful that she is ok.

I guess it was a good pip! I have a very busy little wet, cute peachick. Trying to decide if I leave her in there, or move her to the pre-warmed brooder to dry off. No other eggs are showing a sign of pipping yet. Wish I didn't have to go to work...

Back
Top Bottom