Coop sizes for Turkeys?

Aussie23

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 21, 2016
Hi everyone

I'm wondering what size coop you would recommend for a breeding trio or quad of turkeys?
The breeding groups would be given grass and weeds daily and allowed range on alternate days.
I am considering building coops that are 7 metres long 3 metres wide 2.5 metres high. (A metre is about equal to a yard)
Also I would appreciate suggestions on a minimum build nesting box for my current breeding quad as they have just started laying. I would make one out of timber but I have a broken leg at the moment.

Hi everyone

I'm wondering what size coop you would recommend for a breeding trio or quad of turkeys?
The breeding groups would be given grass and weeds daily and allowed range on alternate days.
I am considering building coops that are 7 metres long 3 metres wide 2.5 metres high. (A metre is about equal to a yard)
Also I would appreciate suggestions on a minimum build nesting box for my current breeding quad as they have just started laying. I would make one out of timber but I have a broken leg at the moment.

I assume your are talking about the run with those measurements? Another member here posted his nice set up which were 10'x10' dog runs that he arched cattle panel over for roosting height and then I think he had laying/brooding boxes, but I'm not sure of the measurements. I know some people use dog houses, so they don't have to be that large. Down there, you don't really get snow, do you? If not, this sort of setup should work fine. I have a similar setup and I have a tarp I can put over it if it's extremely hot or pouring rain or snowing.

Thank you for your reply SunHwakwon.

Yeah the run, I plan to have one end closed in. Thank you for the nesting box suggestions. I'll keep them in mind for the build. I was able to repurpose a old wooden box yesterday and the turkeys love it. We don't get much snow in Oz, only on southern end our main mountain range. I live an hour or so from where it does snow. Winter where I live only gets down to -2C or 28F.

Aussie23, I found these plans in the Iron Oak Farm website.

I built some boxes for my turkeys, some single and some together. I found that if they are together when the hens go broody, they swap nest when they comeback from eating and pooping. After the chicks hatch, the chicks will move from nest to nest and in my case, the dominant hen took most of the babies under her. So now I have single boxes in separate pens so the poutls stay with the mom.

Thank you very much FarmerMac

That plan looks great. I appreciate the pictures, that's a very nice hen. I'm looking at building 3 metre (yard) wide by 3 metre (yard) long coops with 3 metre (yard) wide by 6 metre (yard) long runs for my current breeding quad and future quads like them. Do you think this would be enough space? I'm new to turkeys.
1f600.png

Thank you FarmerMac, I will let my turkeys Freerange outside the breeding season all together and during the breeding season I will let them out a day per quad alternating days between each breeding group. I also ensure all my turkeys get green grass and weeds every day even if they are not let out and I will continue this when I build my new pens. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom