What made this burrow?

KrisCVT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Massachusetts
Went behind my coop today- I thought I saw some of the stone disrupted right outside the run where the feeder is...and I looked a little further and saw this hole!

It's about 3-4" across...I have always worried about this little gap where my run attaches to my coop- I don't have much of an apron (maybe 4-5"...we filled in all around with the decorative stone, which has worked great for the past year. I think the chicken food was becoming too tempting for this creature.
My worries are:
-Rat
-Weasel
or could be a bunny- I have a young rabbit that is residing in my garden that is next to my coop- it lives in the stone wall that surrounds everything. I have seen the little bugger behind the coop, in the garden, in the rocks....would a bunny be this bold to dig a hole and go for the chicken food?

Went behind my coop today- I thought I saw some of the stone disrupted right outside the run where the feeder is...and I looked a little further and saw this hole!

It's about 3-4" across...I have always worried about this little gap where my run attaches to my coop- I don't have much of an apron (maybe 4-5"...we filled in all around with the decorative stone, which has worked great for the past year. I think the chicken food was becoming too tempting for this creature.
My worries are:
-Rat
-Weasel
or could be a bunny- I have a young rabbit that is residing in my garden that is next to my coop- it lives in the stone wall that surrounds everything. I have seen the little bugger behind the coop, in the garden, in the rocks....would a bunny be this bold to dig a hole and go for the chicken food?
In my experience with rabbits - I doubt a rabbit is the culprit It is impossible to figure out what did it, but you could place a game camera focused there to find out? IMO fix the weak areas and fortify them - something digging may come back and endanger your flock.

Probably some kind of rodent, rat, squirrel, chipmunk....rabbits probably wouldn't dig that much and don't care for grain so much as vegetation.
Weasel, mink would have already had chicken dinner I'd bet.
Patch in some apron and/or stick some bigger rocks or a brick or two.
...or put a rat trap inside, protected from the chickens in a box or milk crate or something.

Looks like a skunk. But most likely it's a rat of sorts trying to get into the food.

Before we built the coop or added our run, we poured concrete just below the frost line, put concrete block on top of that, used mortar to fasten that together, and finally for the floor, placed stone pavers on top of sand. We then put wire ontop of the pavers and poured gravel the entire thing with a mix of sand and mulch on top. Nothing's getting under or over that run.

Not really the time to innovate the run into anything better, but I'm sure putting dirt over that isn't going to do much besides let the animal come back. If possible dig around the perimeter and drop some concrete blocks. That's only if you see a lot more of these holes.

My worries are:
-Rat
-Weasel

I am going to guess a groundhog otherwise known in your neck of the woods as a woodchuck.'

Woodchucks and ground hogs are responsible for many of the chickens lost to foxes etc. While the ground hog wouldn't harm your chickens on a dare, their abandoned burrows are awesome homes, and dens for skunks, foxes, coyotes, & virtually every other furry varmint that enjoys chicken snacks.

Could be any of the above. But also a raccoon or skunk trying to dig in but got interrupter or gave up. Re-fill and cover with some larger stone or a concrete block and set your cage trap. Maybe a few rat traps too.
A trail cam set to only take pictures at night is a good tool for these situations.

Back
Top Bottom