Ventilation?

smashleyrose

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
Creswell, OR
Can you have to much of a good thing?

Our coop will have a lot of ventilation according to my current plans. The front door will be screened, with a one foot wide screened area on the side and almost two feet of screen above the door frame. Two sides of the coop will be screen for aprox 3 ft on top, both of these sides are on the interior of the barn. (Converting barn stall.) The back door will have plywood up to 3 ft and a glass window above that, with 2 ft of screen above the door frame.

I'm not worried about having enough ventilation. I'm more concerned with having to much. I am locating the nest boxes and a set of roosts in the corner that is the most protected from the elements, and another set of roosts on the other side.

Any comments?

it will depend on your location

for my house-- a lot of ventilation was a problem-- especially at night when the neighbors turned on their lights-- my chickens can't sleep

i had to use the shade screens to block the light coming in through the ventilation holes

if you don't have neighbors that are only 30-40ft away.. i guess you don't have to worry about this..

however i don't have to worry about predator here.. since the coop and run are always open.. 24/7

it will depend on your location

for my house-- a lot of ventilation was a problem-- especially at night when the neighbors turned on their lights-- my chickens can't sleep

i had to use the shade screens to block the light coming in through the ventilation holes

if you don't have neighbors that are only 30-40ft away.. i guess you don't have to worry about this..

however i don't have to worry about predator here.. since the coop and run are always open.. 24/7

Thankfully we don't have that problem where we live. We're a few miles out of town and the nearest house is up the hill from us.

However, it does get rather windy and wet during the winter and into spring and I am concerned that having to much open space will be problematic.

Thankfully we don't have that problem where we live. We're a few miles out of town and the nearest house is up the hill from us.

However, it does get rather windy and wet during the winter and into spring and I am concerned that having to much open space will be problematic.

just add coverings-- some slanted coverings just above those ventilation vents/holes would prevent rain water getting through

the shade screens i use block out the light (without blocking ventilation) but it also help blocking the rain as well

Back
Top Bottom