Could use some advice...

Caits Coop

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Smithsburg, Maryland
I had a broody hen so we gave her some eggs ginuea eggs to hatch and when the time was righ slipped a few Cooper Maran eggs in as well they all hatched a day early including two chicks. I wasn't worried and figured she'd sit on the eggs more and the rest would hatch. She stayed out all day but sat on them at night . The next day same thing out lol day so we put them in an incubator because they felt cold. Two chicks hatched and two got stuck and died. One chick died later that night. When the only remaining chick was drinking and eating I put it in her box at night she did great and the next day they were fine. Today the chick was lagging behind and the just laying do I brought it in and gave it food water and rest. I don't think it could keep up. I tried to give it back to her but she was mean to it. Now it's in my house and so noisy!!! Any suggestions that n what to do? Should I put it back in the box tonight?

Last edited:
I would give it a friend so it is not lonely. Make sure it has a heating source of some kind. The heating pad is great but a faster choice would be to just place a heat lamp in with it for now. Give it save-a-chick or some other kind of electrolytes to help it get a great start.

It has heat, and is much quieter today. I have to go to work I feel bad leaving it.. So I should try and take one from the mom and bring it inside they are a few days older.

Back
Top Bottom