Chicken Loving Newbie

nicolecordes

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2016
Krum, TX
Hi all!

I have been lurking on the Backyard Chicken site for a few months now, but am just officially joining. I received my first order of chicks on Wednesday (hatched Monday) - 15 Red Stars and 1 Exotic Chick, which I'm still trying to figure out what breed it is.

My family (husband and 5YO daughter) just moved to Texas and we bought 3 acres. We have a barn with a stall turned into a chicken coop, so my dream of having chickens has been realized sooner than I thought. I've done a ton of research before getting the chickens and am thoroughly in love with these little chicks! They have great personalities already and it is adorable to watch them run around and fall asleep at night.

If you have any advice or words of encouragement for a new chick owner, please feel free to comment. I look forward to talking with everyone at some point or another to share information.

Thanks!
Nicole

Welcome, Nicole! So glad you've joined the flock.
Red Stars are a great "beginner" breed, lay lots of eggs and they usually start around 20 weeks.
Are you planning on selling your extras?
Sounds like you have a little slice of Heaven in TX, complete with a barn!
Enjoy your birds and take lots of pics and video!
They grow up too fast!
Best wishes, CluckerCottage.

Hi :welcome Nicole

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new chicks :clap Your exotic one sounds very interesting! Could you post a pic? Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Thank you! Yes, I'm planning to sell the extras to co-workers and friends. I'm going to have eggs coming out of my ears, haha!

Back
Top Bottom