List things newbies absolutely need to have on hand

ediem

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
Totally new to all of this!! I am picking up three 4month old pullets tomoro. I have two 3 month old pullets at home I raised from chicks. Our coop has a run attached on the left and a shed on the right, which is also where the nesting box opens and there a window above that box. I am closing off that half of the shed, with the box and window to the coop, temporarily and using it as a second coop for the new birds. Hubby made me a 4'x7' pen from hardware cloth and 2x3s for them to use as a run and it will be placed alongside the existing run with only 2 feet between them. Is this enough space to insure they don't pass on any cooties, lol? My girls are clean and healthy but they've been vaccinated for mareks at hatch, which I am aware means they'll never have symptoms but could still carry. The ones I'm picking up have not been vaccinated (and are too old to be now) but I am assured they too are clean and healthy and have been fed organic non gmo; being raised for organic eggs. My two are a barred rock and a cc legbar. The other three are Wyandotte, orp, and olive egger. What should I have on hand to keep all 5 young ladies happy and healthy and be able to attend to them quickly? Meds? Ointments? Vitamins? Supplements? Tools? Etc...

With that much space between the 2 groups, you might just as well put them together. True quarantine requires that birds be separated by many feet, no equipment pass between flocks, and all of your clothing/footwear be sterilized before moving from one flock to an other. The minimum recommendation of space for home flock: 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. IMO, the smaller the flock, the more room would be necessary in addition to that recommendation to allow the birds to have enough space to meet the social behaviors of the pecking order. (the bird being pecked on must be able to get far enough away, or out of sight of her aggressor to satisfy the aggressor that she has submitted. In a small coop, even though she runs as far away as she can get, it may still not be far enough to satisfy the aggressor. Welcome to BYC, and enjoy your flock.

Last edited:
Thanks! I found some fake ceramic eggs at petsmart. Hubby said to mark them so I don't get confused. If I had used golfballs that wouldn't be necessary huh.
1f609.png
Treats.
Oyster shell for when they start laying (not before).
Fake eggs or golf balls for your nest boxes.

The run is movable so I can put it further away. How much space should there be between them. My plan was to take care of mine first, then the newcomers, then change clothing and disinfect shoes. Doing that each time for the first three days. Then hubby gets home and he will care for the first two solely and I will care for the newcomers. I know it's not perfect but I'm hoping it helps. What can I change to make it safer?
With that much space between the 2 groups, you might just as well put them together.  True quarantine requires that birds be separated by many feet, no equipment pass between flocks, and all of your clothing/footwear be sterilized before moving from one flock to an other.    The minimum recommendation of space for home flock:  4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird.  IMO, the smaller the flock, the more room would be necessary in addition to that recommendation to allow the birds to have enough space to meet the social behaviors of the pecking order.  (the bird being pecked on must be able to get far enough away, or out of sight of her aggressor to satisfy the aggressor that she has submitted.  In a small coop, even though she runs as far away as she can get, it may still not be far enough to satisfy the aggressor.  Welcome to BYC, and enjoy your flock.

Back
Top Bottom