Balding hen and can't walk

kcw0525

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
Choctaw
Hi there. Three days ago, I noticed I have a buckeye hen (1 year old) that was reluctant to walk. I approached her and she didn't get up to run away, but did squawk a little. I picked her up to examine her and found that her legs weren't working right. She could still move about but was using her wings to do most of the moving, and she didn't get far very fast. I also noticed a little blood around her comb.

I put her in the coop and left her alone, thinking I'd do some research. I couldn't find anything on the weird leg issue. The next day, she was still alive and alert, eating food I put out for her and drinking water. I decided to give her a warm bath thinking maybe she was egg bound and needed a little help. I had read baths help with this. I cleaned her comb as best as possible but it wouldn't come completely clean. Day 2:

I thought, maybe she was bit by something like a small snake or a spider. But it just didn't make sense in my mind as to why she was still alert and eating and drinking. So I left her.
Today, my husband and I went down to see her and, well, she's still the same. Alert, eating, and drinking like normal. BUT her head was practically bald:

I've looked online but can't find anything. What is going on with my poor hen (named Bonnie)?

Although she was eating and drinking, she's declined in health rapidly over the past two days. We are going to put her out of her misery today. :( No other chickens are showing signs of sickness of any sorts, so we can only assume it was something genetic.

Back
Top Bottom