Predator Disposal After Capture

carlf

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
Mobile, AL
As noted in just about all threads on this topic, relocation of live predators is not advised and in most states, illegal.
So what do with the coon, possum, etc.., you caught that is alive in your trap?
Killing Predators:
1. .22 rimfire: A .22 rifle with subsonic shorts or even CB caps is the best way to kill a predator. 1 shot between the eyes is instantaneous. While discharge of firearms is prohibited in most city limits, if done properly, no one outside of 20' from the trap will hear it. To do this, you have to place the muzzle of the rifle within 2" of the animals head before you fire. The skull absorbs the shock wave, muffling the sound. Make sure you the trap is over dirt, not concrete surface and have the gun pointed almost straight down so the bullets enters the dirt if it leaves the skull. Do not use a revolver in urban areas2, the gas escaping around the cylinder will still make a loud crack!

2. High Power Pellet Rifle or Pistol. Yes, a high power .177 or .22 pellet gun, used in the same manner as above, will kill a predator. But you must shoot it point blank and not miss the brain case.

3. Drowning. I have worked in wildlife biology for over 25 years. I don't know of any state regulation that prohibits drowning trapped predators.If someone does know of such a law, please post a link.
Fill a large enough container with water and submerged the entire cage. It will take less than 5 minutes. The critter will struggle for about 1 minute. Its not for the faint of heart but it is fairly quick and you don't have to own or discharge a gun. Beware that the surface of the water is liable to be covered with fleas, might want to have the bug spray handy.

4. Use Conibear traps. If it is legal and there is no chance of catching someones pet, use a conibear trap, which kills instantly. Many states prohibit their use on dry land. The 120 ( a 110 with 2 springs) or 220 is the size used for raccoons and possums. These traps can be dangerous, a 2200 can break your fingers, wrist or arm if you mess up setting it. If you don't know how to use it, ask someone who does to come set them.

If you dont have the ability or cant bring yourself to dispatch a predator, call a critter control company, your local state game commission office or ask a friend who can do it for you. But dont relocate the critter.

Disposal:
1. Double wrap in heavy duty trash bags and place in your trash can.
or
2. Bury: Bury at least 2' deep to avoid it being dug up or smelling.
Dont just take it and dump somewhere along a road or on someone elses property, that is also illegal in most states and you risk spreading diseases.

Remember:
1. Predator control is a secondary tool, first step is providing your birds with a lockable coop and a secure 5 sided run where they are as safe as possible, especially at night.
2. A chicken acclimated dog is probably the best protection from mammalian predators you can have.
3. Hawks are another whole topic.
4. Seeing a predator, even coons or possums, during daylight, is itself not a sign of distemper or rabies. Seeing a predator in daylight acting lethargic, stumbling around or otherwise acting sick, is a clear sign of disease. Call animal control and dont go near it, get your pets secured.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask me any questions about trapping and predator control.

CarlF:

Congratulations, on a very well written synopsis, as you stated a person must first and foremost provide adequate protection for the chicken.

Candidly speaking, as the chicken owner don't wait for an attack, before doing the necessary, simply put do your part first. The local wildlife will tell you a lot, for instance if the squirrels seem to chatter more and are hesitant to come to the ground, something has moved in nearby. Or if wild rabbit population suddenly begins to disappear, your chickens will be next. The constant annoying cry of crows may cause a hawk or owl to move on, but only temporarily. Aside from being blunt, you are the last line of defense for the chicken, so do your part.

Kentucky

Last edited:
As i understand it many states base there laws on AVMA reports, euthanasia done by a professional is recommended but when that can't be done they offer other solutions, drowning is not human according to AVMA and therefore not legal in Missouri http://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance...ce-native-species/wildlife-control-guidelines

We just shoot things :-|
Interesting law on the drowning. A .22 round is certainly one of the best options, but I have down the downing thing and it doesn't take very long at all for the animal to go. Not my preferred method of disposal, but a reasonable option for the person without a gun.

I think of it this way, "what if I had to make the decision on how I was to be out down?".. god knows I would pick a bullet before I chose to be drowned. the panic, the adrenaline, it might not seem like it takes that long to you but aren't the one fighting for your life with water filling your lungs. A bullet can be instant, I understand 1 shot won't always do the job but it would be my choice

I should ad in. Missouri, if you are just disposing of the body you can legally just place it in an out of the way place and let nature take care of it :):)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom