New to BYC and on nerves end- rambling

Terri E

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Onalaska, Tx
Hello Everyone,

My name is Teresa and am new to this site. In searching for ideas and insights for my new found interests, BYC has always been among the top of it. In reading before signing up, it has helped me in some areas.

I am originally born in San Antonio, TX , moved to Dallas county area and now found myself (still in TX) in an area between Huntsville and Livingston, were there is very limited service connection.
The Cabin is what we call it but is far from it. We are currently buying this 'cabin' and with it, the previous owners have (in my opinion) abandoned their flock. Which I have adopted- four hens (2 Black Australorp and 2 Pilgrims) and a nasty Rooster (Black Australorp) who will attack you if you are not aware of him. Even sneak attacks. However, before finding myself in rescuing them, my husband had bought me four chicks. Two Ameraucana and two Polish. I, then found a Rooster (Ameraucana) who needed a home which I gladly took for my small growing flock.

Now finding myself in having two different flocks, I found myself not being able to treat them the same. Being that my adopted ones are free range and I do not know how much older they are. My very own are not free range.

I know that the rooster I took in is about 1 1/2 yrs. While my little ladies are about 5 months. One of the Ameraucana just lay her first egg on Friday 8/26/2016. Just that, I knew they will soon start and was trying to find a nesting box for her. Unfortunately, I was way too late for it. But excited all the same.

Now, the older ones are constantly laying however, they are laying in the same nesting box and they have 8 to choose from. I have collected eggs except for the first batch in the hopes that they hatch. Being sporadic, am not sure when they will hatch however can only assume never since it is now a month and during reading it takes 21 days.

I am conflicted. From reading Brooding hens will stay on the nest, but these older hens do not. They come and go, come and go. each dropping an egg or two in the same nesting box. If one of them is in the box, and another wants to lay her egg. She will push the other off to do so. I wish I can be like most that have a friend (which I don't have one around here or even one that is like me with chickens) that can help in incubating to hatch them. I am at a dead end on this matter but everyday I still keep a watchful eye and maybe enclosing them in the coop will make them stay on the nest? I just do not know.

One another matter, the new rooster is optimistic in his new home. I say this because he basically took of to the woods. It frightened me. Where I live there dogs without boundaries, among other chicken's worse nightmare and now mine. While in the woods, I can hear him crow. This makes me more nervous cause I do not know the neighbors and don't know if they see him may want to keep him. However, when he is silent for a while, the other one crows, which has him responding back. As if in saying, yes I am still alive and close by. He eventually did come back. Guessing he didn't not want to leave the little ladies alone.

We are currently looking for a larger coop, however, am a bit skeptical in combining both together in this one coop. Meaning this will be two roosters and a total of 8 hens. Would a new coop be a new way for them to determine whos who and what's what? Or will the pecking order still be law in the new coop. such as older hens and young ones.? Roosters may not get alone but I am not planning to have the ones I have raised and rooster to be free range as the others are very much used too.

I am a nervous mess and to be honest, a wreck.

IF anyone is able to help me understand more, it is most appreciated it. If I am not clear or confusing you, then this is exactly how I feel on the whole matter. Its like everything is happening all at one.

Thanks again,

Teresa

Hello Everyone,

My name is Teresa and am new to this site. In searching for ideas and insights for my new found interests, BYC has always been among the top of it. In reading before signing up, it has helped me in some areas.

I am originally born in San Antonio, TX , moved to Dallas county area and now found myself (still in TX) in an area between Huntsville and Livingston, were there is very limited service connection.
The Cabin is what we call it but is far from it. We are currently buying this 'cabin' and with it, the previous owners have (in my opinion) abandoned their flock. Which I have adopted- four hens (2 Black Australorp and 2 Pilgrims) and a nasty Rooster (Black Australorp) who will attack you if you are not aware of him. Even sneak attacks. However, before finding myself in rescuing them, my husband had bought me four chicks. Two Ameraucana and two Polish. I, then found a Rooster (Ameraucana) who needed a home which I gladly took for my small growing flock.

Now finding myself in having two different flocks, I found myself not being able to treat them the same. Being that my adopted ones are free range and I do not know how much older they are. My very own are not free range.

The flocks can be integrated, which will make management easier, - heres a few links on the topic that may help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1015820/reintegration-by-supervised-visits#post_15742910

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098683/introducing-new-chickens-to-old-flock#post_16895615

I know that the rooster I took in is about 1 1/2 yrs. While my little ladies are about 5 months. One of the Ameraucana just lay her first egg on Friday 8/26/2016. Just that, I knew they will soon start and was trying to find a nesting box for her. Unfortunately, I was way too late for it. But excited all the same.

If you can put a plastic basin (maybe 40-50 cm in diameter) and put some dry soil (to weigh it down) and add dry grass clippings, in the coop, it will be fine as a nest.

Now, the older ones are constantly laying however, they are laying in the same nesting box and they have 8 to choose from. I have collected eggs except for the first batch in the hopes that they hatch. Being sporadic, am not sure when they will hatch however can only assume never since it is now a month and during reading it takes 21 days.

Here's a link for testing for egg fertility - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I am conflicted. From reading Brooding hens will stay on the nest, but these older hens do not. They come and go, come and go. each dropping an egg or two in the same nesting box. If one of them is in the box, and another wants to lay her egg. She will push the other off to do so. I wish I can be like most that have a friend (which I don't have one around here or even one that is like me with chickens) that can help in incubating to hatch them. I am at a dead end on this matter but everyday I still keep a watchful eye and maybe enclosing them in the coop will make them stay on the nest? I just do not know.

Some breeds exhibit broodiness, while the commercial strains have it deliberately bred out of them to keep egg production at its optimum. Leave them be - there is nothing you can do to encourage broodiness. You could put pics of your birds on the breed / gender forum to get an idea of what likely breed they are - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

One another matter, the new rooster is optimistic in his new home. I say this because he basically took of to the woods. It frightened me. Where I live there dogs without boundaries, among other chicken's worse nightmare and now mine. While in the woods, I can hear him crow. This makes me more nervous cause I do not know the neighbors and don't know if they see him may want to keep him. However, when he is silent for a while, the other one crows, which has him responding back. As if in saying, yes I am still alive and close by. He eventually did come back. Guessing he didn't not want to leave the little ladies alone.

It may only be a matter of time before a dog snaps up some of your flock. Enclosing a dedicated space for them is the best way forward. Check out the Coops and Runs forum. His job is to protect his harem, so he will always be nearby. His crowing in response to another rooster is territorial / competition.

We are currently looking for a larger coop, however, am a bit skeptical in combining both together in this one coop. Meaning this will be two roosters and a total of 8 hens. Would a new coop be a new way for them to determine whos who and what's what? Or will the pecking order still be law in the new coop. such as older hens and young ones.? Roosters may not get alone but I am not planning to have the ones I have raised and rooster to be free range as the others are very much used too.

Your male to female ratio is far from ideal. Basically, a rule of thumb is that one roo can cover at least 10 hens. Your current set up may likely result in over-breeding of your girls and could cause them harm / damage. I'd suggest getting rid of one of the roos.

Please see links on integration, but once thats done, having them together in one coop will be fine. A new coop = neutral territory which makes things smoother.

I am a nervous mess and to be honest, a wreck.

IF anyone is able to help me understand more, it is most appreciated it. If I am not clear or confusing you, then this is exactly how I feel on the whole matter. Its like everything is happening all at one.

Thanks again,

Teresa

Just based on my experiences, but I'd suggest holding off on breeding for a while. Get to know your flock and how to manage them first. Once you are comfortable with that, then its time to think about breeding. We are here to help you out, so don't worry - it may seem a little daunting, but its not rocket science.
You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

BTW - I have asked the moderators to put your thread on the "New member introductions" forum just so you will get hopefully get more responses. It's Sunday, so it may not be moved for a day or so.

Last edited:
For starters I would get rid of (rehome or ???) the aggressive roo. Never a good reason to keep a bad roo. In fact he may have chased off your younger one. One roo (good one) is enough with the number of hens you have. As far as brooding goes, not all breeds will brood eggs. You cannot force a hen to go broody. Certain breeds like Silkie, Cochin, Buff Orps, general make very good broodies but, again not all will

. Hatchery birds generally have that bred out of them - they just want them to produce eggs and not take time off from laying to brood some.

Please try to stay calm - Backyard Chicken folks have your back. Some members are on BYC just about 24/7, one of them is me. If we don't know the answers we will direct you elsewhere.

Greetings from Kansas, Teresa, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! CTKen has given you plenty of links to research your chicken issues so I will just say best of luck.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. You've had some excellent advice already. Especially from Drumstick Diva - drop that aggressive roo like a hot potato!

Thanks. I did not drop that roo. He left me alone and hasn't attacked me. I stood my ground on him and showed him whose in control. However. seem him attack only the guys now.
My new roo, Americuna, is aggressive towards him now. have to keep them apart.
but I am trying my best and according to one of the guys, he's never seen the older hens run towards anyone with eagerness for possible food on hand. Even surprised that he seen them eating from my hands.

Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens. CTKen hooked you up with amazing advice and links, so I will just say hello and wish you the best of luck! Hang in there and don't get too overwhelmed.;)

Back
Top Bottom