Friendliest breeds

momaof3

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Which breed of chickens do you have that are the friendliest? My 2 Buff Orpingtons seem to be a lot more social than my 2 RIR'S. How do I get my others to be more social? They all come running to me when I call them but my RIR'S wont eat from my hands or really let me hold them like my Buff's do. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

My buff orp is definitely the tamest and friendliest of my flock. Have you tried handfeeding dried mealworms? Even my two shyest black australorps can't resist mealworms (or corn on the cob)!

I have a few breeds in my flock and all my birds are friendly but my Dominiques seem to like being held more than the others, including my 6 month old Dom cockerel whose hormones should be keeping him far more interested in the hens. The hens are 2 years old and new to me as of this summer. I'm not sure how much they were handled before but I do know they came from a much larger flock than I have but they instantly took to getting affection from my children and me. The cockerel is also new here and was accepted into the flock after a few stern looks from my top hen during his first day with them. They're very non-confrontational with all their flock mates too.

Food is the best way to gain a chicken's trust. Be patient and let them come to you. Some birds may or may not remain aloof but give them time and they may warm up.

Also, try going to the coop at night when chickens are roosting. They can't really see at night but if you talk to them, pet them and even hold them, they won't give you much resistance and this is how I've been able to get some of my more timid birds to not be so fearful.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I raise all my girls from day old chicks and handle them a lot when young to make them friendly and social. Still my RiR has been aloof. One day she asked for a scratch (i'm the rooster) and instead i picked her up, sat her in my lap and gently scratched under her wings while speaking softly to her. Now she' a regular on my lap. Sometimes it's just finding their sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom