Help sexing 3 new chicks - 1 mixed, 1 lemon cuckoo orp, 1 mottled java

hmbelk

Chirping
10 Years
May 14, 2010
I would love your opinions in sexing these three chicks.
Chick 1 - a mixed breed (father is splash laced red wyandotte, we believe the mother is my speckled sussex)
date of hatch 8-9-16 so 3 weeks old now.

Chick 2 - Lemon Cuckoo Orpington pics taken today 5 weeks old.

Chick 3 Mottled Java - pics taken today 5 weeks old

Thanks for the help. Sure hope we don't end up w/ all cockerals. I certainly don't need any more of those! lol The mixed breed one was hatched by my Australorp. Only two eggs hatched and then one chick died. I purchased the orp and java chicks from a friend so my mixed breed chick wouldn't be lonely. (I had to take him from the broody hen because I didn't have a separate pen for her and the other hens were attacking the chicks).

As fun as it is to watch them grow and change it's frustrating that I keep ending up w/ cockerals everytime I get chicks. You put so much work and money into these chicks only to have to sell them in the end (or give them away as is often the case w/ cockerals). This pretty much confirms that when I order from the hatchery I'll be ordering pullets rather than straight run.

You're so welcome! Straight run is definitely an interesting situation, especially when you're worried just how many cockerels you ended up with. (I've been there
smile.png
)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom