One day old chick! Help!!!

prentissce

Hatching
Aug 29, 2016
Just yesterday afternoon we found a hatched chick in our chicken coop, we noticed we had a broody hen, but tried to make sure when she did lay when we collected her eggs. Turns out she was hiding one in the corner of the coop (not in nesting boxes). We found the chick right after it was hatched so we figured we should put it under a heated lamp. (She left it on its own). The little guy was doing pretty well, but later that night we noticed a red mass of some sort coming out of its back side. It looks almost like an organ...He /she has become less energetic and isn't walking or chirping as much as before. We've hatched our own eggs before and didn't have this issue, just wondering if we can help out this little guy :/

Thank you!!

It does sound like prolapse of the vent. Constipation is the likely cause. And the cause of constipation can be a backup of poop not being able to be expelled. You may also have a "failure-to-thrive" chick on your hands, meaning some genetic flaw has caused these problems and it may be why this chick was abandoned.

You can try to get some mineral oil or coconut oil down the chick, either solid or melted. Try to get the chick to drink water with some Poultry Nutri-drench mixed in it. Then smooth some coconut oil on the protruding mass. If you have some Preparation H smooth some on and it might help to shrink it so it will retract.

Lastly, try to get used to the idea of losing this chick. There was some reason why its broody abandoned it.

Azygous hit all of the highlights. But, I have some suggestions/modifications to her excellent advice: Re Nutri Drench: If you wipe a drop of full strength ND on it's beak so it can wick into it's mouth to be swallowed, that will help out just a bit quicker (if it will help at all) You might try soaking the chick in a warm epsom salt bath, and then, be sure to towel dry it well then put back under the lamp. Be sure the heat under the lamp is 90 - 59* and the chick can get away from the heat to at least 10 - 20* cooler. You may need to monitor the chick, and move it to heating level comfort if it's not moving enough on it's own. Keep an eye on it re: bowel function. Have you seen it poop at all?? And, I agree with Azygous, this chick may be destined to fail. Hens often abandon such chicks. Sadly, I think I'd give it 24 hours, and if no improvement, if it were in my flock I'd cull it.

Back
Top Bottom