Need help figuring out how old my chickens are

YellowEagle3

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2016
Hi everyone I'm new here. I'm new to the chicken world too. I mean I had chickens when I was a kid but I never paid attention to them and actually learned anything. I just gathered the eggs and helped my mom butcher them for meat. I got all my chickens from the farmers store here they really couldn't tell me how old they were when I got them. Only thing they could tell me was they normally get them in when they as early as 2 days old. My barred rocks, black astrolorps, and Rhode Island reds were all pretty big when I got them. I say big I mean they only needed about 2 weeks of lamp time, until they didn't need a lamp anymore. I've had them on the crumbles for a while but when they eat it it just turns to powder. I'm thinking of going to layer feed but since I don't know if they are old enough. When I first got them it was in June. I'm just not sure, any help please?

I started mine with layer feed at 7 months!
I have 3 chickens and have gotten 3 eggs daily since they started :)

I slowly introduced and mixed it with crumbles at first - they are very healthy!

I would guess about 3 months old for the cockerel the adorable little girl is holding. Agree with aart about pictures of when they were young helping. If you got them the same time, they are all probably around the same age.

If all the chickens pictured are supposed to be the breeds you mentioned, you have the wrong breeds.

@TheKindaFarmGal
What do you mean wrong breeds?

6 are supposed to be Rhode Island reds
3 are supposed to be black astrolorps
2 are supposed to be barred rocks (cockerels)
1 is a Cochin bantam ( I know this one for certain)

Can you post individual pictures?

There are two Golden Comets, three RIR, one possible Black Australorp, one or two possible Easter Eggers. Can't see the rest well enough to tell. The Barred Rocks appear to be mixes, or very poorly bred.

Back
Top Bottom