Broody hen

Denisejmdk

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 6, 2015
Florida
I have a buff orpington who has gone broody and has been sitting on 3 eggs for 2 weeks. I am new to this behavior and to hatching chicks. I have 5 buffs and a frizzeled rooster in the same run. If the eggs hatch will the others hurt the chicks? I have a separate coop with one silkie hen, juvenile silkie/polish hat hen and a juvenile polish rooster. Could I move her in that coop if needed without the chicks or the other 3 getting hurt?

IF they have plenty of room she should be able to hatch and raise the chicks within the existing flock. I put my broody hens and their eggs in their own small pen/coop/hutch within the main run for some privacy, but they aren't separated. About what size is the run and coop area you have them in?

Watching my broody hens, I'm more concerned about the chickens being hurt by her. LOL They'll quickly learn to give her and her chicks PLENTY of space. So, cooping them up with younger chickens might not be a good idea either. She may injure them.

IF they have plenty of room she should be able to hatch and raise the chicks within the existing flock.  I put my broody hens and their eggs in their own small pen/coop/hutch within the main run for some privacy, but they aren't separated.  About what size is the run and coop area you have them in? 

Watching my broody hens, I'm more concerned about the chickens being hurt by her.  LOL  They'll quickly learn to give her and her chicks PLENTY of space.  So, cooping them up with younger chickens might not be a good idea either.  She may injure them. 

I am new also to hatching chicks broody buff should have babies in a day or two....this is my set up....what should I do? Should I move her to the floor?

I am new also to hatching chicks broody buff should have babies in a day or two....this is my set up....what should I do? Should I move her to the floor?

You need only move her to the floor once the chicks have hatched. Chicks can survive without food / water for up to a couple of days, so don't worry about waiting for all viable eggs to hatch. If you try and move her now - its likely that she will abandon the eggs.

You need only move her to the floor once the chicks have hatched. Chicks can survive without food / water for up to a couple of days, so don't worry about waiting for all viable eggs to hatch. If you try and move her now - its likely that she will abandon the eggs.
Agreed!

Ok another question....

This pic was taken on 9/7

This one on 7/13
Went broody starting sitting on them 7/14....so I guess my question is.... is it 21 days from time laid or started sitting....

Today should be hatch day :/ i think
Today is Thursday but should add Monday morning she was not on her nest... I figured she got off to eat/drink and another hen or two got in there...she was sitting in one box over when I went in.... didn't do anything didn't know what to do... but that evening i candled them and all but two (the two that were probably laid that morning) looked to be between 16-19 days along...some looked very full like you could see nothing but the air sac others could still see veins...but cant remember if that was a chicken egg or a duck egg....lol anyway put her back on her nest that evening and she stayed....but afraid them not being sat on all day may have caused problems :/
Please advise

Last edited:
If they are duds....won't she stay broody? My buff duck also went broody and started sitting the same day she has one chicken egg under her...when hers hatch should I share them with my hen?

It gets confusing when other hens keep laying new eggs, because she's sitting all along. So the hen will either leave the nest before they all hatch to care for the chicks, or not care for the chicks to keep sitting on the other eggs. Having her off the nest for one day shouldn't affect things too much if it wasn't freezing cold, but will possibly delay the hatch by a day.

It sounds like you should have some chicks anytime as long as she stays put! :)

Back
Top Bottom