Hi, I've had an interest in living on a homestead.

chickensrock12

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Utah
Hi, what are your thoughts of living on a homestead. I've been researching on it. I found a log cabin to order prebuilt. I've thought of the animals I want. I've thought of living like this for a long time. And I wonder if its posible. I thought of what animals I want. I want to have 9 chickens, 2 ducks, 1 pig, 2 goats, 2 horses, 1 mule, 3 cats, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 3 peafowl, 2 guineas, and some hogs for meat. I hope you like this post and fill free to say what you think of it. And here are pictures.

Group-of-farm-animals-71641507.jpg

Tassie%20Indian%20peahen%20and%20chicks.JPG

LIV-Guinea-Jumbo-MED.jpg

LL

farm-animals-front-white-background-33476214.jpg

Edited by Staff

Last edited:
I think your homesteading idea is great as is your selection of critters. But do some hard thinking about predator proofing. I hope you find success in your venture! Best wishes. :)

Redsox is right. Getting the animals is one thing, keeping them safe from predators is quite another. Please check out the predator section for advice.

I also live in NY. I'm not crazy, I'm a homesteader. lol
I raised feeder pigs for the 1st time this year. It was... different. I can't say I regret it , but it was....uncomfortable. Had a "butcher" Do the deed.

The pork is amazing! My freezer is full.... In the Spring, I will get more piglets. I doubt I will give them cute names again.
They had an amazing life, full of everything a hog could wish for. The first is the worst.

The feed was expensive. But worth it. we went best we could buy. We raised them on pasture. Lots of field they rooted up. lol. Looks like the surface of the moon. lol. I still have one gilt. she has a buyer. I wish I could keep her for breeding. I can't properly care for her over the winter. Water supply will freezes over in a few weeks.

I have chickens, and I still can't harvest my roosters. I will one day. My DH is not a country boy, so I'm on my own lol. Any one in my area wanna be my harvesting buddy? I'll be there for you, if you'll be here for me. Seriously. I want to raise meat birds in the spring.
Need help. lol

I have to say homesteading is my dream also. I want to do this in the worst way, but am worried about failing without a backup plan. I currently am looking for a place to start but with no extra income it is very hard to do. I really think its doable and is a very good idea to be totally self sufficient in all ways especially in society today. Good luck and hope to hear how it goes.

You don't have to live on a farm to start farming. Start right now, where you're at. Rabbits are great starter livestock. They are legal to own just about everywhere. Plant a garden, even if it's just a few pots in the window. Get a few chickens or quail. Setup a beehive a corner of the yard. You can be a 'homesteader' right now.

I currently rent the land my mobile home is at and my landlord is very picky at times on what I do so pretty much all I have going on is what is allowed currently by his attitude. Makes me sad that I can't be more self sufficient, but greener pastures may be in my horizon (cross my fingers).

Back
Top Bottom