Depressed

angnic22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2016
Ok. So I started my first hatch last Sunday. Candles yesterday and see absolutely nothing. Some I can see an air sac but that's it.

I have 2 thermometers in addition to the one in the little giant 9300. No fan. Still air. I think both my thermometers suck. I tested for days prior to placing them and it seemed consistent. Now, it's hit or miss. Temps have ranged between 99 & 105. I know what your gonna say. 105 will kill them. Which is why I'm so depressed. My rooster died a couple weeks ago so this was my lone shot to carry on Moo's genes. I don't know how long it stayed at 105 but couldn't have been long (this thermometer has a hi/low memory setting so it tells me the least and highest temps of the day.) I've got the incubator in a no draft, infrequently traveled area of my house. Yeah. I could buy another thermometer but I think I've killed them, my rooster is dead and the girls production has really went down.

Guess I just needed to get it off my chest. I don't know what to do. Or if there's anything I can do. I'll wait a few more days and candle again. Wish me luck.

First, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your boy. That really stinks. :hugs
Second, not to make things any worse but that particular incubator is really, really crummy. BUT here's a few things I thought of...were your temps mostly on the lower side (99ish)? For a still air incubator the temps actually need to be higher, around 101-102, taken at the top of the egg. If your temps were mostly lower that can delay development. So maybe they are not a total lost cause. Also, 105 is dangerous but I've heard of a lot of other people have eggs survive with the temps going up a lot higher then 105. Maybe there is still hope. Also girls can stay fertile for a long time after one mating. Up to 5 or 6 weeks. Maybe you could gather just a few more eggs and set them. Anyway you could possibly return that incubator and get different one? I could make a couple suggestions and Amazon does pretty cheap 1 day shipping. :)
Also what color are the shells?

Thank you for the encouragement. I really needed to here that. Not sure I can take it back but I'm up for buying something better if you don't mind giving me some input.

I heard eggs can stay fertile for a week. Maybe I was wrong. I will check the ones I get the next couple days and see if they are still fertile. I was getting 6/day but after losing 2 girls (in addition to my Roo) I do good to get 2/day. Saturday I got zero. No one is molting and weather is great. But, even at 2/day, I can try again.

Thank you again for the kind words. I won't give up until I feel it's a lost cause. It's my first time and I'm very green.

Can you sure links for better incubators?

Oh. Yes. Temps stay relatively low. I try to keep at 100-101 but since it's crummy and shot up to 105, I've been happy at 99-100.

My eggs are light to medium brown.

Hopefully the eggs are a little behind then. For still air you need higher. I would give them at least till day 10 and candle with a small LED flashlight with brand new batteries. Shine it into the air cell and look for veins under that. Sometimes brown eggs can be very tricky to see into, especially in the first week. I wouldn't give up hope yet. And at a minimum fertility will last 4 weeks but I've seen it push past 5. Even if you only get 2 a day in a week you'd have at least a dozen. I have to get my baby to sleep but in the morning I will recommend some incubators. I had the LG 9300 for a few days and the temperature was so crazy and inconsistent I wanted to rip my hair out! Thankfully the feed store let me return it. Before I recommend any incubators let me ask, can you hand turn or do you need an auto turner? And as far as capacity how few or how many eggs do you need it to hold? Do you see yourself hatching at least once a year or more? Warning: it's addicting!!!

Lol. I know chickens are addicting so I'm sure hatching will be too. :)

I'll probably hatch twice a year. I have the auto turner that went with the 9300. Id prefer mechical turning because I might not be as consistent. So far as capacity, wouldn't think I'd try to hatch more than 20-25 at a time and that seems very high. I'll probably do 10 at a time.

Hope you and your baby have sweet dreams :)

Thank you. Without breaking the bank there are two that are excellent. You can get them with all the bells and whistles but that will break the bank. Lol. There is the brinsea octagon 20 ECO. You can purchase the turner too. It's basic and comes with a glass thermometer only, so you need to buy a separate hygrometer and calibrate it. I buy a super cheap dial hygrometer and after calibrating it, it's more accurate then the expensive ones. The octagon 20 is stable with temperature. It's forced air, so I keep it around 100 degrees and even in the spring/early fall when the temps in the house are swinging all over the place throughout night and day, it does not budge! Humidity is easy and consistent but takes alittle work at lockdown. Brinsea also makes a mini incubator (it's my fav) the one without the auto-turner holds about 10 large eggs and it's not that expensive but the model that comes with the auto turner and all digital controls is very expensive (in my opinion).
The next one is a styrofoam incubator, it's the hovabator 1588. That model does not come with digital controls, you need your own hygrometer & thermometer (but I figure if you need both of those anyway to check the accuracy of the controls on an incubator it really doesn't make that much of a difference). They also make the 1583, which does have digital controls. They make an auto-turner now for those incubators that lays the egg on the side and rolls them. I'd recommend that for local eggs (non shipped). The important thing is an incubator that holds temperature consistently and is easy to adjust humidity. If you get stuck keeping the LG, you could always use it as a hatcher only but with temps swings that might not fly either. Hatchers do well with still air and temps can be lower, 98ish. With either brinsea or hovabator, you won't have to babysit and your temps and humidity will be stable and easy to adjust if needed. Just keep in my mind that they come in a basic model (that's the ones I have) and those are pretty affordable and will last you years. Or they make them in digital models that will cost more.

Thank you Ruby! I ordered the Brinsea mini Eco advance and egg insert. I also bought a digital hygrometer and magicfly flashlight (I know I can use a regular high power flashlight but some people don't put it back when their done. Lol)

I requested 2 day shipping so it should be here Thursday. I'll be sure to start a thread on how the new and existing sets go.

Thank you again for all your advice & encouragement. Means a lot to me.

You will absolutely love it! I am on my fourth hatch with mine and have had great rates. I like that for the most part, it is a set it and forget it incubator.

Thank you Ruby! I ordered the Brinsea mini Eco advance and egg insert. I also bought a digital hygrometer and magicfly flashlight (I know I can use a regular high power flashlight but some people don't put it back when their done. Lol)

I requested 2 day shipping so it should be here Thursday. I'll be sure to start a thread on how the new and existing sets go.

Thank you again for all your advice & encouragement. Means a lot to me.

hugs.gif
Sorry for your losses.... keep us posted on your current set.

I'm new to hatching also, but I built my own bator - not the wisest way to start, but it seemed like a fun project and a lot cheaper than buying a 1588!

Back
Top Bottom