stray dogs

mspenny

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
came home yesterday afternoon, found 2 large dogs standing in the barn. All 5 chickens cannot be found, no feathers and dogs seemed friendly. Did not bother my goats that I can tell. Hen must have been frightened, but where are they. Will they come back?

Yes, they will be back. I would call animal control, or shoot them. I know it is sad, but it is legal to kill anything frightening your livestock and stray dogs are NOT tolerated in my coop.

Since dogs seemed friendly, let animal control come get them.
They may be lost so check your local craigslist and newspapers for ads.
I hope your chickens come back-- they are probably hiding real good because I'm sure the dogs spooked them.
Good luck to you.

Well. I found them, one by one, by smell. It looks like the dogs just grabbed them and they went off and died. I finally located the dog's owners. Contacted them, one came by and offered to pay for the chickens. She was just a kid and felt so bad that her dog had packed up with the other dog and did the damage. She had babysitting money offered, but I told her I appreciated her taking responsibility for the dogs so
I wanted her to use the money and put up a fence to keep the dog home. She stayed several hours and helped me bring some calves in from pasture. I haven't seen the dogs since. I did buy some more chickens, just a few to start. If I find dogs molesting the stock I will assume my right to put them away. Once a chicken killer, always a chicken killer.

Well. I found them, one by one, by smell. It looks like the dogs just grabbed them and they went off and died. I finally located the dog's owners. Contacted them, one came by and offered to pay for the chickens. She was just a kid and felt so bad that her dog had packed up with the other dog  and did the damage. She had babysitting money offered, but I told her I appreciated her taking responsibility for the dogs so
I wanted her to use the money and put up a fence to keep the dog home. She stayed several hours and helped me bring some calves in from pasture. I haven't seen the dogs since. I did buy some more chickens, just a few to start. If I find dogs molesting the stock I will assume my right to put them away. Once a chicken killer, always a chicken killer.
Oh, I am so sorry for your losses. :( :hit :hugs. Well, at least the owner took responsibility of her dogs actions. Hope it does not happen again.

Chickens and rabbits bring out the prey drive in dogs more than just about anything else. If I were you I would look into some electric poultry fencing. It is relatively inexpensive and it is easy to put up and move. I should keep the dogs and other predators out. If it isn't those dogs there may be others. You can find electric poultry fencing on the internet. Randall Burky (sp) has it and there are others.

Yes, they will be back. I would call animal control, or shoot them. I know it is sad, but it is legal to kill anything frightening your livestock and stray dogs are NOT tolerated in my coop.
actually, check your local laws first. It varies by state. In some, frightening is enough. In others, chasing. In still others, the dog must be in the physical act of killing livestock - have it on the ground, by the throat, whatever.

actually, check your local laws first.   It varies by state.  In some, frightening is enough.  In others, chasing.  In still others, the dog must be in the physical act of killing livestock - have it on the ground, by the throat, whatever.  

True. I forget that it varies. Mine is chasing.

@mspenny You handled that very well! I am sure it was difficult for you. But that young lady did try to take responsibility and you responded in a very rational manner. And I am sure she will NEVER forget this.

Glad to see that you ARE willing to do what you NEED to, to protect your flock int he future.

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom