Advice pls from those who have incubated geese eggs

Ardent

Hatching
Oct 4, 2015
Australia
Hi everyone! I currently have 10 Toulouse geese eggs in the incubator (this is my first time with geese) and have been candling regularly to check their progress.
All eggs seem to be developing really well and have their eggs sacks but tonight I noticed I couldn't see the air sac in one of the eggs... when I put the torch to the egg, it was completely black???? They're getting to point of hatch. Have I lost this egg or is this normal so close to pipping????
Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I currently have 10 Toulouse geese eggs in the incubator (this is my first time with geese) and have been candling regularly to check their progress.
All eggs seem to be developing really well and have their eggs sacks but tonight I noticed I couldn't see the air sac in one of the eggs... when I put the torch to the egg, it was completely black???? They're getting to point of hatch. Have I lost this egg or is this normal so close to pipping????
Thanks so much!!!
@jchny2000

Welcome to BYC!! @Ardent

Last edited:
I am trying to obtain geese egg incubation myself! How do you lay your goose egg in the incubator? Horizontal or vertical? What kind of incubator do you use? I know your looking for advice as well...but I would love your input!

Thanks so much!!!
Its probably close to hatching, but smell the egg.. thats right, take a wiff! A rotten egg is easily smelled, and trust me you do not want one to blow.
sickbyc.gif
If there is no odor you should be ok!

Thanks so much Jchny2000. I'll take a whiff tonight and see if I can smell anything. If it seems ok, is it normal to not see the air sac as it gets close to hatching? Admittedly I'm a beginner when it comes to incubating but I always thought the air sac got bigger towards the end (unless its completely different for geese). Knowing my luck, the thing will probably blow and I'll find myself gagging on the stench as I clean up!

Thanks so much Jchny2000. I'll take a whiff tonight and see if I can smell anything. If it seems ok, is it normal to not see the air sac as it gets close to hatching? Admittedly I'm a beginner when it comes to incubating but I always thought the air sac got bigger towards the end (unless its completely different for geese). Knowing my luck, the thing will probably blow and I'll find myself gagging on the stench as I clean up!
If you are right at hatch it gets very dark. How good is the candler? If its not real intense and the room isnt dark enough its tough to see. I go at least 5 days past the due date also, unless there is odor to the egg. Lastly, just my own experience but a failed egg cools very fast. A viable gosling, the eggs are so warm! When I pick up to candle, I can tell right away its not a living egg, just by the touch. (at lockdown, not earlier weeks) You will get the feel of it more after hatching a while.

Back
Top Bottom