Unusual Fowl Pox - Necropsy Results

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas
Is this an ant bite?

Should I put some antibiotic ointment on it? I have some ophthalmic eye ointment left from another chicken vet visit. Also, could I use plain neosporin that close to the eye?

Quote:
I didn't even think about that, lol. You can use plain Neosporin it if doesn't have pain killer in it. If it gets bigger or looks nastier though, and you have access to a vet, that would be the way I would go. It could be an abscess of some kind. Does she shake her head or act like it's hurting her? You could try giving her some baby aspirin for pain relief and to maybe reduce some inflammation. One baby aspirin crushed in a treat two or three times a day. I crush up the aspirin and sprinkle it over a tiny dab of peanut butter spread over a little piece of bread, small enough to swallow, and then I roll that up into a ball. Contains the aspirin well.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will get some baby aspirin. It looks like it hurts. That's a great medicine trick. I never thought about using peanut butter!

The spot looks about the same tonight, but there is a bit more swelling.

THey love the peanut butter too.
smile.png
. But seriously, if there's more swelling, don't delay too long. Chickens hide symptoms until they can't any longer...so if this is an abscess, it's already well underway, and you don't want it to get to the point where there's no turning back. That can happen very quickly in chickens. Even if it is just a bite or sting it could turn serious. Someone on here had a chicken once who swallowed what they think was a brown recluse or black widow. It was horrible; it bit the inside of the birds throat....

Can you get some injectable Tylan? Idk how well it would work for something like that, but it might....and you can administer it orally, and also get it at feed stores. I think you need to give an antibiotic, but probably don't have time to wait for ordering something online. It's being so close to the eye that concerns me.

Even if you don't use the Tylan for this, it's not a bad thing to have in your chicken first aid kit. You might try feeling the lump and see if it is hard or soft...in other words, does it feel like it's full of infection, or does it feel more hard, like a bee sting would. I am not sure you can tell for sure, but worth a try. Also is it hot? Is she sneezing or is there any discharge? YOu could maybe try a warm compress too....

Swellling on bird's faces is not all that uncommon, there can be a number of causes.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have soluble Tylosin and sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim. I gave her some meloxicam last night.

Her vet is on vacation until next week. She was in the office for a problem with her other eye a couple of weeks ago. She now has what looks like a fowl pox lesion on the other side (the side that was a problem a few weeks ago). She has been very dehydrated.

Here is a photo from last night of the possible ant bite side:

Here is a photo from last night of the lesion on the other side:

They could certainly be related problems then. What did the vet think the first problem was? Hopefully she is still eating well? I would make an appt for her first thing Monday then, if you can. I think the Tylosin would be better than the sulfa, but I don't know what the dosage would be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom