My Ringneck doves aren't showing any signs of mating...

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
Why aren't they showing any signs? they act normal to each other, but they don't coo, I have 2 males that I got January 2016 and I got the female in August 2016.... I have the nest in order already and they can move around freely in their cage? is clipping the wings preventing them from mating? What's going on? this has never happened to any dove breeders...... why me...should I just give them back to the Pet store or wait....
he.gif

The doves may not mate until spring. It's almost October. I can't ever remember my doves or pigeons I've had in the past mating right before fall. Plus doves pair off. You don't need two males for one female just pick one and seperate out the other male. You could always try to find him a female as well.

Last edited:
But we don't have Spring or Winter in the Caribbean? So what months do they mate, and ya i'll separate one of the males, you see I bought 2 male ringneck doves because the pet store owner told me that both of them are male and female and then relized he gave me the wrong one, so I just kept both. I'll get another female for the extra male

It's hard to say. They aren't carribean birds so there is a good chance they may still nest seasonally. You would have to do research in your area. Mine would lay and raise babies from early to mid spring and through some summer I believe. So starting around April and stopping some time before fall. They also take time to pair off as they mate for life.

Oh cool Thanks, so do you think Artificial inseminating a dove is a good idea??? or terrible decision,

Uh terrible idea if she isn't ready to lay she isn't going to wether inseminated or not. And I imagine you could hurt her. If you got her in August there is also the chance she is still young like only a few months old. Give it time.

Last edited:
Oh cool Thanks, so do you think Artificial inseminating a dove is a good idea??? or terrible decision,
I hope you are not serious with this question... this would be very cruel and stressful for the birds, and its won't work.

You have also clipped the birds wings to stop them flying? They are not like parrots, they can't use their beaks to climb about. Its not recommended to clip doves or pigeons wings.. as they are likely to have an accident if they fall. They will also not get enough exercise and will become overweight and unhealthy.

I read you other post about hand rearing different dove species

I am sorry, but its sounds like you may be a bit off with how you are looking after your birds.

Perhaps do some research on the internet, or read some books about pigeon and dove care.

You also are going to have big problem with your doves fighting and injuring the youngsters if you house your 2 older males with your single young female. They need to be kept in pairs for breeding.

if they are not showing signs of mateing how do you know you have males and females if there is no cooing struting I would think all females pet store are not a good place for breeding stock and if you have no experience you really are in the dark find a breeder that will help you

I agree I looked over the whole clipped wings before. I really in a million years wouldn't have thought of clipping a dove or pigeons wings. I'm also curious as to why it's so imperative for them to be bred so fast.

I hope you are not serious with this question... this would be very cruel and stressful for the birds, and its won't work.

You have also clipped the birds wings to stop them flying?  They are not like parrots, they can't use their beaks to climb about.  Its not recommended to clip doves or pigeons wings.. as they are likely to have an accident if they fall.  They will also not get enough exercise and will become overweight and unhealthy. 

I read you other post about hand rearing different dove species 

I am sorry, but its sounds like you may be a bit off with how you are looking after your birds. 

Perhaps do some research on the internet, or read some books about pigeon and dove care. 

You also are going to have big problem with your doves fighting and injuring the youngsters if you house your 2 older males with your single young female.  They need to be kept in pairs for breeding. 

Back
Top Bottom