My hen breathing hard with mouth open

sunflowerbee

Chirping
Jun 26, 2016
Magnolia, Ky.
I have 5 brown leghorn hens.... One is quite bigger than the other. She is breathing really hard and keeps her mouth open all the time. I'm worried about her can anyone help me??

Is it hot where you are at? Open mouthed panting is done when they are hot or they can't breathe well. She could have something stuck in her throat or she could have a respiratory infection. I would catch her and have a feel of her throat area and little for rattling in her breathing. If she's hot she is doing it to cool down.

Is it hot where you are at? Open mouthed panting is done when they are hot or they can't breathe well. She could have something stuck in her throat or she could have a respiratory infection. I would catch her and have a feel of her throat area and little for rattling in her breathing. If she's hot she is doing it to cool down.
Okay I will do that now. Will keep you informed. Thanks

Hi golden feathers.... Yes it is hot here 91 degrees. I didn't feel anything in her throat no wheezing. Just breathing hard and sitting around. How can I help her?

She is probably hot if that is her only behavior. Is she eating/drinking normally? Holding her wings out from her body? 91 is hot for chickens

I agree, she's hot, mine get hot over 80 degrees and pant from it. Keep fresh clean water available and plenty of shade. You can always run a fan if she seems too stressed.

I fed my chickens frozen fruits and veggies when it was really hot here. You can also make a cold water bath for them to stand in. I just used an old square Tupperware container. I made sure the sides were short enough for them to just walk right through. I also sprayed down there run a couple times to cool the dirt down.

I fed my chickens frozen fruits and veggies when it was really hot here. You can also make a cold water bath for them to stand in. I just used an old square Tupperware container. I made sure the sides were short enough for them to just walk right through. I also sprayed down there run a couple times to cool the dirt down.
Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom